Students attribute BU’s No. 1 ranking on Unigo to urban environment

School of Management sophomore Ronak Patel said it was the city environment and quality of education that made him choose to attend Boston University over other schools.

“I came to BU because it was one of the best schools that I got accepted to and I wanted to be in a city environment,” he said. “BU’s campus has a different feel than a traditional college campus because it’s very open and urban.”

Unigo, a college resource website, voted BU among the “The 10 Best Places to Go to College,” according to an article published last week by The Huffington Post.

According to the article, BU’s non-traditional campus is a major highlight for potential students, a claim with which undergraduates said they agree.

“BU definitely doesn’t have a normal campus. It’s very integrated into the city, which I really like because I don’t feel like I’m closed off from what’s happening in Boston,” said SMG sophomore Jessica Cordero-Wilson.

Though many students said that the location of the campus is a plus, cultural diversity is also an exciting part of college life at BU.

According to the BU Admissions website, BU has students from all 50 states, as well as 55 student cultural organizations and 31 student religious organizations. In addition, almost half the student body reported to be of a minority ethnicity.

College of Arts and Sciences junior Rajani Ghosh, a member of the Indian dance team Chankaar, said the diverse student body is a welcome part of life at BU.

“The people I’ve met here have been phenomenal. Having a strong Indian community on campus was something cool to discover,” Ghosh said.

Joyce Kim, a CAS sophomore, said she was happy with the dynamic among students from all different backgrounds. “I hang out with a lot of different people and it never feels cliquey.”

For some students, however, the wide diversity and sheer size of BU can be overwhelming. With more than 30,000 students, some students said that it is easy to get lost in the shuffle.

“If you put yourself out there, you can definitely meet a lot of people, but because it’s such a big school, it can be difficult to really get close to people,” said CAS sophomore Sam Chen.

“I like it here, but I’m not head over heels about it,” said Chelsea Fairbanks, a junior in CAS. “I like being in a city, but I think there are just too many people at BU.”

Ghosh said she thought the only drawback to going to college at BU is the large amount of students. “Sometimes it can be difficult to get the individual attention you need.”

While Janvi Shah said she considers BU to be a big school, she said she is grateful for the environment, as well as the academic options.

“The opportunities I’ve had here have really prepared me for the workforce and I know I’ll feel confident when I graduate this year,” she said.

1. This is great news, and of course I agree completely! Get’em BU! I found Unigo’s site with the rankings too, pretty slick. http://www.unigo.com/articles/prime_location

2. BU isn’t ranked number 1. It’s just ranked among the top 10. If you’ll notice, the schools are listed alphabetically. It’s a great feat for BU, and I’m proud we’re on the list. Just be careful of these distinctions, however.