City, News, Politics

Boston bars unfazed by newly passed gambling laws

Many Boston bars are not worried about losing business, despite the recently passed law that would allow gambling and the creation of casinos in the Commonwealth.

If Gov. Deval Patrick approves the bill, local bar owners could face competition, but Marc Kadish, the owner of Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston, said he is not concerned.

“I don’t think gambling will hurt us, depending on where the location is,” he said. “If it is located in Palmer, and my establishment is in Boston, it won’t affect us too much.”

In a 118-33 vote, the Massachusetts State House voted to pass the gambling bill, which would permit one slots parlors and up to three resort-style casinos in Massachusetts. The Senate then passed the bill with a 23-14 vote.

While Patrick still needs to approve the bill, Rep. Joseph Wagner, of Chicopee, said in a press release that Patrick seemed supportive of the bill in a conversation with Speaker Robert DeLeo.

Opponents of the bill worried it would cause Bay State bars to lose business. However, in a phone interview with the Daily Free Press, Kadish said  that he hates to see everyone “go to Connecticut and spend their money there” and would prefer people gamble in Massachusetts instead.

“People have to drive an hour and half to Connecticut if they want to gamble,” he said. “And they spend money in Connecticut on gas, at convenience stores and at restaurants and bars. That money might as well stay here in the state of Mass.”

After Patrick viewed the bill last Wednesday he said he was concerned about additional funding being diverted toward horse racing, and the House and Senate voted to amend the bill, according to a State House press release.

The new version of the bill, according to the press release, will give an extra 5 percent of funding from one-time licensing fees to the Race Horse Development Fund.

Patrick said that the House and Senate’s efforts to divert additional gaming revenue to support the state’s horse tracks is “worrisome,” and would need further review.

The money for the horse racing industry, according to the release, would come from an account that was created to support community preservation funds across the state.

Some Boston University students said that they support the gaming bill.

“I don’t see anything wrong with gambling,” said Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences freshman Jonathan Candelaria. “If people choose to be responsible with their gambling, it is a perfectly fine hobby.”

A College of Arts Sciences sophomore who asked to keep his name anonymous said he supports some forms of gambling, especially since he plays professional poker.

“I’m against table games and slots but I am for poker and games that are not played against the house,” he said. “I think the state casino games, strictly as a money makers, are ridiculously great, but gambling of any sort can be life-ruining and overly addictive.”

He said that strictly playing games against the house causes gamblers to “lose it all.”

“Games that involve high levels of skill are completely different and shouldn’t be considered in the same conversation,” he said.

1. “Unfazed” not “unphased.”

2. I do believe all of the concepts you have introduced to your post.
    They’re very convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too quick for newbies. Could you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

3. Wow, fantastic blog structure! How long have you been running a blog
    for? you make blogging glance easy. The overall look of your site is fantastic, let
    alone the content!