STAFF EDIT: MBTA woes

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority just announced plans to eradicate all alcohol advertisements from their stations and vehicles. The announcement comes at a time when the MBTA is enduring an economic crisis: Its debt is currently at $5.2 billion, and efforts to combat the enormous debt include fare increases and reduction of service. According to an article on Boston.com published yesterday, the debt-ridden agency has been informed by their advertising agency, Titan, that the decision will definitely impact the MBTA financially. The loss of alcohol advertising revenue is estimated at $1.5 million in the first year alone. The move to ban the advertisements comes after youth groups spoke out about the advertisements that could be found in many major stations as well as buses and trains.

The Allston-Brighton Substance Abuse Task Force and Supporting an Alcohol-Free Ad Environment in Massachusetts (SAFE MA) were two of the groups in favor of abolishing the ads. The action will obviously elicit mixed feelings from the public. Some can argue that censoring these advertisements can be an infringement on freedom of expression. Since the alcohol industry has such a high advertising budget, companies will naturally seek to maximize advertising potential in any way possible. Others will conclude that eliminating these ads will be an important step in dissuading young people from consuming copious amounts of alcohol.

If the MBTA loses revenue from alcohol companies being banned from advertising, the advertising company will have to find other alternatives to fill the hole of revenue before even more monetary problems ensue. While huge numbers of alcohol ads on public transport are not desirable, it will remain to be seen whether their complete abolishment will be seen as a positive move. Many would rather have alcohol advertised near public transport than on highways or billboards near roads where drinking-and-driving accidents could occur.

Students at Boston University interviewed in the Daily Free Press article published today said the regularity of the ads were not noticeable after a while; whether you advertise alcohol or not, there is always a possibility students will drink regardless of advertisement visibility. Nevertheless, the youth groups involved will surely take heart in the fact that their concerns were taken on board and consequently addressed by such a large organization.

1. I’m new to your blog and i really appreciate the nice posts and great layout.:.;,’

2. Definitely, what a fantastic website and informative posts, I definitely will bookmark your blog.All the Best!