MCAT examinations to include sociology, psych

Future pre-medical students must study psychology and sociology after the Association of American Medical Colleges approved the first major change in the Medical College Admission Test since 1991.

By 2015, the MCAT will have a new section entitled “Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior,” a “Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills” section and two natural science sections, according to an AAMC press release.

The writing section will also be removed from the test after admissions officers claimed the section did not offer significant insight into the applicant, according to the press release.

Dr. Jeff Koetje, the director of pre-health programs for Kaplan Test Prep, said the changes reflect the advances in medical sciences as well as a more holistic approach toward patient care.

“The discussion around the changes to the MCAT are part of a much larger discussion around how we train tomorrow’s doctors,” Koetje said.

Koetje said there is a concern among medical school officials and pre-health advisors to ensure entering students represent a broad range of diverse backgrounds.

This is part of an effort to engage in a holistic review of applicants so that it is not just about GPA and the MCAT score, but also about the activities, experiences and perspectives the applicant brings, he said.

The psychological, social and biological section will test students in areas the AAMC describes as a “solid foundation” on behavioral and sociocultural health.

“The changes to the exam also recognize a growing body of evidence showing that integrating social and behavioral sciences into medical education curricula and clinical practice can improve the health of all patients,” according to the press release.

The natural science sections will include biochemistry, organic chemistry, introductory biology and more.

Koetje said the additional biochemistry component means before the test, students will have to complete biochemistry, typically taken at the end of junior or senior year.

However, the new MCAT may be more restrictive on pre-medical students’ schedule.

“The concern that people have is that with the new coursework requirements for the MCAT, that it will be more of a challenge for students to fit this additional coursework in and maintain a broad interest in other academic areas,” Koetje said.

The Boston University School of Medicine currently requires one year of English composition or literature, humanities, physics and biology with a lab, as well as general and organic chemistry with a lab.

But another challenge, Koetje said, will be that universities will have to examine their current coursework and determine whether they have the right course offerings for pre-medical students.