Saba abroad: LONDON → BERLIN → PRAGUE

By Saba Hamedy, Daily Free Press Editor-in-Chief Fall ‘11

A lot of my peers ended up going to Italy and Spain for spring break, but something made me and two of my friends want to try somewhere different. Somewhere historic. Somewhere unique.

Somewhere like Berlin and Prague.

While it was colder than perhaps the 60-something degree weather in Southern Europe, our travels led us to places we probably would never have ventured to before, more “off-the-map” I suppose. From standing on top of Hitler’s bunker (now a parking lot) to seeing the beautiful splashes of graffiti all over the Berlin Wall, Berlin was quite an experience.

Of course, Prague, once named “Bohemia,” had its fare share of sites to see as well. Home to the Prague Castle (which looks like a cross between Hogwarts and a Disney castle) and famous author Franz Kafka, the city took my breath away. It was so beautiful, in fact, that the cold became bearable and walks along the river were worth the chills. But alas, all trips must come to an end and I have returned once again to home sweet London.

[slideshow]

1. It seems as if three faculty slots at CGS were lost to the drop in enrollment (one in each in the Natural Science, Social Science, and Humanities divisions).

In addition, five other Natural Science faculty slots were reduced because CGS wanted to change the curriculum and save money by reducing college expenses.