STAFF EDIT: Unhealthy competition

In an election year as significant as this one, the rivalry between the Republicans and the Democrats is littered with bitter allegations, scathing remarks and obsessive scrutiny on campaign platforms. Therefore, the second anniversary of President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act and its approaching Supreme Court date are at the forefront of many politicians’ minds. According to an article published in The New York Times yesterday, the court will conduct a hearing lasting six hours over three days. The central argument against the act is that it requires all Americans to have medical insurance; otherwise taxation laws will penalize them. Some see this as an infringement on individual freedom.

Under ordinary circumstances, the act would still affect millions of Americans, but it’s safe to assume the debate would not receive such heightened reactions from the Republican Party. While conversations on contraception are still rampant, giving the Republicans copious bad press, the party will be eager to draw attention to a piece of legislation that has the American public has remained divided on since its conception. A fierce war of words is set to ensue, as Republicans will be utilizing social media, news coverage and numerous other outlets to express their views to the voting public. Conversely, the Department of Health and Human Services plans to publicize videos of American citizens praising the law.

Since healthcare is such a pivotal issue to America’s population, it would be abhorrent to see arguments ensue purely for conflict’s sake, rather than shifting focus to the legislation itself. The aforementioned article described Democrats planning to unleash “truth squads” to combat the Republican onslaught. The credibility of American politics to disenchanted voters and the global community will surely diminish.

Nevertheless, the verdict will have an enormous impact on the upcoming election. Should the legislation be deemed unconstitutional, Obama’s campaign will have to pick up the pieces. Regarding the Affordable Care Act itself, the hearings will no doubt take into consideration how implementation in such a large country could be a problem. Universal healthcare has seen success in Europe, but provoking such change in America would anger many citizens who don’t approve of paying the price for universal healthcare. On an issue which has created such a divide publicly and politically, the Supreme Court hearing will carry tremendous weight whatever the final verdict may be.

1. Does anyone proofread this stuff?