STAFF EDIT: Bald Barbie

The power of a following via social media has proved to be significant. However, the publicity resulting from the ability to gather thousands behind a cause does not always yield tangible results. Many Facebook and Twitter movements have gathered momentum, made headlines and then slowly faded away from the public’s minds. However, one Facebook campaign has made headlines and caused the toy company Mattel to create a revolutionary new Barbie doll. The cause created a Facebook page, complete with a description that reads, “Beautiful and Bald Barbie! Let’s see if we can get it made.” Two women, who both have daughters who lost their hair as a result of gruelling cancer treatments, pioneered the cause in January.

According to an article published in TIME Wednesday, the toy manufacturing giant has promised to manufacture the bald doll, which will be accompanied by different outfits, wigs and other accessories. Furthermore, instead of stocking this Barbie on the shelves for profit, the newest item will be donated to numerous children’s hospitals, as well as the National Alopecia Areata Foundation. This is an enormous step toward allowing the infamous doll to pursue an image that helps girls that feel marginalized by their conditions. Furthermore, the fact that these dolls will not be sold commercially in their initial stages proves that the corporate backing of the cause is sincere.

Mattel deserves recognition for pursuing an idea that had its humble beginnings in a Facebook movement. This step will bring optimism to those who have shamed the company in the past for being a negative influence on young girls. Barbie has been criticized for its promotion of an unrealistic appearance, but the latest addition to its inventory will certainly be an encouragement for its promoters and a welcomed change for its critics.

It remains to be seen whether this is indicative of a greater shift in which Facebook campaigns will continue to yield tangible results. In addition, the next hurdle for the Bald Barbie campaign is to get the dolls on store shelves alongside the other versions. If and when this occurs, children who are resigned to coping with hair loss at such a young age due to treatment or other conditions will finally feel acknowledged and included by the toymaker industry.

1. I think the editor has missed the point that Barbie has ever been the most egalitarian of all the ‘mods’;
    one look under the kilt so to speak shows that both “her” and friend Ken are the most gender neutral (or possibly neutered) of all role models. It takes NO imagination at all to imagine Barbs as having the equipment and/or packaging to successfully pursue a dream sequence either as Gene Kelly or with Gene Kelly in that iconic Dancing with Stars number as An American in Paris. Who says little girls or boys need a faux bouffant to feel really normal. Couldn’t people recovering from debilitating illness’ spend their online time better trying to get dates with celebrities?

I think not.