Campus, City, News

Allston shooting kills SMG grad student, still no suspect

Boston police are investigating the death of a Boston University School of Management graduate student who was shot early Thursday morning.

Officers responded to a call from 139 Allston St. at about 2:43 a.m. and found the 24-year-old male victim suffering from severe trauma, according to the Boston Police Department. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police are withholding the victim’s name until they notify the family, according to the BPD.

BPD spokesman David Estrada said the incident is an active and ongoing investigation.

“It’s probably going to be a collaborative effort [between BPD and Boston University Police Department] to see if we can find out the facts and circumstances surrounding the incident,” Estrada said.

Homicide detectives are still determining the cause of death, although the preliminary investigation shows the victim suffered from gunshot wounds, according to the BPD.

BUPD Captain Robert Molloy said the shooting is isolated because no other crimes similar to it have occurred.

“We don’t have any reason to believe it’s associated with any other incident,” Molloy said.

Molloy said he does not know if the homicide was random or not, but the BPD was attempting to get in contact with the student’s Thursday afternoon.

Students received an email Thursday from BU Emergency Alert that the student was killed in an “apparent shooting” after midnight in Allston. It provided safety tips and phone numbers for counseling.

“Boston Police Homicide unit is investigating the case along with the Boston University Police,” according to the email. “There are no suspects and there have been no arrests.”

BU spokesman Colin Riley said the incident is “terribly sad and tragic news.”

Riley said the Boston Police Homicide Unit is investigating and the BUPD is assisting where they can.

BU President Robert Brown said the university is still learning details about the incident in an email sent to the BU community.

“While this murder occurred outside our campus area, we want to assure you that we work continuously with the City of Boston to address safety and security concerns in the neighborhoods that surround our campus,” Brown said in the email.

Brown said BU is working with Boston police to increase patrols in the neighborhood where the incident occurred.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim’s family and friends,” Brown said. “And we are outraged at this crime.”

1. So no sarcastic headline this time? How about doing that for all the other crimes happening in this garbage neighborhood? Last time I checked, someone getting mugged or beaten isn’t a place for a headline pun/quip.

• Bitter, much? Stop trolling.
      What happened was unfortunate, if you don’t like the freep, stop reading.