BUMC bans smoking on campus, Union intends to look into different approaches

Smoking has been banned on Boston University’s Medical Campus. Illustration by Audrey Fain/DFP Staff

While Boston University Medical Campus officially went smoke-free Monday, Student Union members said they are brainstorming alternatives to a smoke-free campus.

Despite the change in BUMC, the Charles River Campus is not expected to undergo the same.

“Dean Elmore came to us earlier saying the medical campus was going smoke-free, and he wanted to come up with alternative solutions,” said Union Vice President Alex Staikos. “He wanted the Charles River Campus to be more courteous, but did not want to take such a radical initiative as going smoke-free.”

As part of a Boston Public Health Commission initiative, announced Nov. 17, BUMC and nine other hospitals now prohibit smoking in all campus buildings and outside on campus grounds, said BUMC Provost Karen Antman.

“As an academic medical center, we are committed to finding ways to treat and prevent cancer and related diseases,” Antman said in an email. “It makes sense for the medical campus to set an example of wellness and prevention for our faculty, staff, students and the community.”

BU spokesman Colin Riley said the Charles River Campus will remain open to smokers.

“There is a concentration of medical facilities [at BUMC], and there needs to be treatment,” Riley said. “That isn’t the case at this campus.”

Union plans to create posters and use other media across campus as a smoking courtesy campaign, Staikos, a School of Management sophomore, said. Details of the campaign will be available after Monday’s Senate meeting.

“We want students to be more aware of where they’re smoking to be courteous of non-smokers when they’re blowing their smoke,” he said.

BUSM student Alyson Kaplan said this initiative will probably affect the employees and patients at the hospital more than the students or faculty.

“There’s always lines of people outside the hospital doors smoking,” she said.

Students, faculty, staff, patients and visitors will be asked to refrain from smoking, and faculty and staff will help inform smokers the campus is now smoke-free, she said. New employees will be informed upon hiring.

“I don’t know if it will be enforced,” Kaplan said. “You’re dealing with a bunch of people who feel entitled to do what they want.”

Kaplan said she works in the emergency room once a week where many patients, even those hospitalized for lung-related issues, request to smoke.

Students already understand the risks and dangers of smoking, Riley said.

“We expect people to be courteous and respectful of those who don’t smoke,” he said. “Ideally at some point in the future, you’ll see a reduction in the number of people who smoke.”

Gozde Cavdar, a Graduate School of Arts and Sciences student, said it should remain a person’s right to smoke outdoors.

“There are so many more harmful things [such as] fumes from cars [and] junk food,” Cavdar said. “People became obsessed with talking about how harmful smoking is.”

SMG junior Brian Anderson said it would be “ridiculous” if he were told he could not smoke outside on campus.

“I can see it happening at BUMC because of the hospitals, but not here,” he said.

However, College of Arts and Sciences senior Allison Fahey said smokers around campus need to be considerate of non-smokers, especially children.

“The only thing that really bothers me is throwing butts on the ground,” Fahey said. “I’m a graduating senior, and of my friends, we all have smoked at some point, but none of us want to be smoking after we graduate.”

1. As a non-smoker, I am glad to see that smoking has been banned on BUMC. I understand how some people are concerned with impinging smokers’ rights to smoke where they please… but it seems to me that people are forgetting something. Just because you smoke, doesn’t mean that I should have to breathe it in when I walk by.

Ever heard of second-hand smoking? http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/ETS Third-hand smoking? http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-is-third-hand-smoke

Both exist and I’m sick and tired of it. Why should my health have to suffer because of other people’s poor choices? You’ve heard it all before.

I would also like to address Cavdar’s comments specifically. I would add something about Anderson’s, but it is “ridiculous” and as a result, not worth my time

Cavdar: Do you honestly think that car fumes and junk food are more harmful than smoking? You should better inform yourself: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3590578.stm As for the junk food part, I can see how long term, it causes a lot of damage. That damage, though, remains self-inflicted and you can’t kill other people by eating yourself to death. When your actions affect me, then we have a problem.

2. This “courtesy ” policy is stupid. No one will care because they feel entitled. I’m disgusted that Boston University thinks it is acceptable for another student to infringe upon my rights and health by smoking around me. BU can mandate “Sargent Choice” nights and “Make a Difference Mondays” to make students healthier but cannot ban smoking? That’s ridiculous.

Now, I know that BU runs along Comm Ave, it doesn’t own it. I think it’s “reasonable” for someone to smoke while walking down the street. However, outside of my dorm and in front of my class buildings is unacceptable.

3. Solution: Just like in NYC, paint line a semicircle on the ground with the door at the center and people cannot smoke within that line… and as far as advertising – look what NY State (City?) is doing with their advertising people who have hand limbs removed from smoking, have stoma’s, and discuss thier everyday lives… had a huge impact on me