BU students charged in AEPi hazing incident

Three Boston University students appeared in Brighton District Court Friday on charges connected to an alleged hazing incident in April, only to postpone the arraignment until June 27, officials said.

Graduates Justin Katz, 22, of the College of Arts and Sciences, Kyle Shevrin, 21, of the College of Communication, and Alexander Nisenzon, 22, of the School of Management, were charged with failure to report hazing, said Jake Wark, Suffolk County District Attorney spokesman.

This charge could lead to a fine of up to $1,000, he said.

These three students, who graduated from BU Sunday, will appear on June 27 when more suspects from the same case will face similar charges, Wark said.

Police responded to call about a house in Allston on April 9 and found five BU students in their underwear covered with condiments and other substances. The alleged hazing incident led to the unaffiliated fraternity, Alpha Epsilon Pi, which was not recognized by BU, losing national recognition and charges being filed against the 14 students involved.

The remaining seven defendants, who were not identified, will be arraigned on charges of hazing, failure to report hazing and assault and battery, Wark said.

A conviction of hazing could lead to one year in a house of correction with a possible $3,000 fine, and a conviction of assault and battery could lead to two and a half years in a house of correction or a fine up to $1,000, he said.

Another suspect, BU junior and College of General Studies graduate Michael Sanieoff, 21, appeared in court for arraignment on May 18 and pleaded “not guilty” to charges of keeping a disorderly house. These charges are only punishable by a fine, Wark said.

The arraignment will continue June 21, said a Brighton District Clerk’s Office spokesman.