Field Hockey, Sports

Field hockey looks to overcome America East Ban, take at-large bid

After falling to the University of New Hampshire in the America East Championship last season, the Boston University field hockey team will return to action this fall. This time, however, it is not an America East Tournament crown that the Terriers, who were ranked No. 14 in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association’s preseason poll, will seek.

Rather, the team will push for its 11th NCAA Tournament appearance, a feat that will require an abnormal route for the Terriers, who were named the preseason favorite in the America East Conference.

Due to America East banning BU from the conference’s post-season tournament, the Terriers will need to acquire an at-large bid to find themselves in the NCAA Tournament, a level they have not reached since the 2007 season.

“I really feel that we can compete to qualify for the NCAA Tournament,” said BU coach Sally Starr. “Because of the whole conference situation, we can’t qualify for the NCAA Tournament by getting the automatic through the America East . . . that really requires us to want to get one of the at-large spots. I think that’s a very realistic goal for us.”

While Starr said that the ban was disappointing for her team, she also stated it did possess some positives.

“I think in a lot of ways it is a good thing,” Starr said. “I think it really has put our mindset that we realize we’re in a situation where if we take care of the schedule that we have, and we’re successful, then we’ll put ourselves in a really good position to get an at-large position.

“I think in past years we really relied too much on the automatic. I think we’re really much more focused this year on taking care of our schedule.”

The ban will have the largest impact on the team’s seniors, who are expected to play an important role in the Terriers’ season.

“We really have a very strong senior class,” Starr said. “I think historically when you have a very strong senior class, that’s a very good thing for your team and for your program.”

One of the seniors who has made an impact on the program during her career at BU is Jacinda McLeod. The New Zealand native was named the America East Defensive Player of the Year last fall for the second time. She became the first player to ever receive that title twice.

“Jacinda’s had a great career for us, and she’s been playing well through the preseason,” Starr said. “She’s just a tremendous athlete, tremendous hockey player, so obviously to have any player of her caliber back is great.”

The Terriers may have to kick of their season without McLeod, however, as Starr said McLeod is injured. The team is hopeful that she will be ready to play this weekend.

Starr, who had heart surgery earlier in the summer, missed BU’s preseason games while recovering, but is back at the helm as the Terriers open their season against the University of Delaware on Friday and Rutgers University on Sunday.

“I am just really looking forward to them competing hard and playing at a high work rate, really taking advantage of the competitive opportunity that we have,” Starr said.

BU will play its first home game on Sept. 1 against Kent State University, and will open up conference play on Sept. 28 when it plays the University at Albany.

“I think we can really work hard to be the America East Regular Season Champions – I think that is a very realistic goal for us, and then to put ourselves in a very, very strong position to get an at-large spot,” Starr said. “We don’t want to be a bubble team on the NCAA selection day. I want us to be in a position where we feel strongly that we have a good opportunity to get one of those eight at-large spots in the NCAA Tournament.”

1. I simply want to say I’m very new to blogging and site-building and honestly enjoyed your blog site. Likely I’m likely to bookmark your site . You surely have remarkable writings. Kudos for sharing with us your blog site.