Women’s soccer travels to Baltimore to take on UMBC Thursday

Coming off of a thrilling overtime victory against the University of Vermont, the Boston University women’s soccer team is looking to continue its exceptional play and stay perfect in the America East Conference when it takes on the University of Maryland-Baltimore County. Thursday night.

The Terriers (7–5–1, 3–0–0 America East) are riding a four-game winning streak in which they have outscored their opponents 10–3. This goal outpouring came at an opportune time, ending a three-game goal drought.

“These away conference games are challenging,” said BU coach Nancy Feldman. “Conference games in general are really combative and meaningful.”

This run through the America East will be especially meaningful as the team will not be able to participate in the conference Tournament due to the team’s upcoming move to the Patriot League. The Terriers are shaping up to be one of the favorites in the conference and will look to remain perfect in order to obtain a bid for the NCAA Tournament.

“Everybody seems to bring their best game … they want to be the one to knock off the team that’s been the top dog,” Feldman said.

BU is coming into this game with junior forward Madison Clemens playing at a phenomenal level, having scored three goals in the past two games. Clemens is leading the team in goals (six) and in points (12).

Clemens has not only contributed to the team’s scoring, but she has also been an all-around contributor to the team’s success.

“[Clemens] is playing better and the scoring is coming too,” Feldman said. “Scoring isn’t always a sign of playing better … but she’s being a better target player, she’s moving better on the field, she’s keeping the ball better and in the final third she is finding shots.”

Lately, the Terriers have been getting off to slow starts offensively, with 17 of the team’s 22 goals coming in the second half or extra time. This slow, methodical look at the game has actually been beneficial to the team as it has worn down its opponents.

“Stylistically I think we are more reliant on a type of attack that is less direct,” Feldman said. “Sometimes it takes a little bit longer to penetrate, to either wear the other team down or find what types of penetration are working, where the holes are, and how to move the opponents.”

The Terriers have been effective, to say the least, at penetrating their opponents defense, forcing 79 corner kicks and taking 183 shots while out shooting their opponents by more than 40 shots this season.

The Retrievers have also been starting games slowly in the first half, but this has resulted in an increase in goals scored. Of the 17 goals they have given up, 11 have come in the first half.

UMBC’s tendency to start slowly may open up opportunities for the Terriers to wear down its defense early and find the net.

Defensively, the Terriers will be facing a team that has failed to effectively penetrate their opponents’ defense this season, as UMBC is losing the shot differential 188–101. Their already stellar defense will need to continue to lock down the goalie box to take the pressure off of junior goalkeeper Andrea Green.

If there is one player BU has to look out for on the Retrievers, it is senior forward Rachel McKee, who currently leads the Retrievers in goals (two) and points (five).

Looking ahead to this weekend, the Terriers will host Stony Brook University Sunday at Nickerson Field.

1. Excellent post, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector don’t understand this. You must continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & aid different customers like its aided me. Good job.