EDIT: Now you see it. Now you don’t

Louisiana State University is generating backlash for altering an image of the school’s football fans, according to a video on ABC’s website Tuesday. The original image showed four male football fans with crosses and other designs painted on their chests. The university “did not want the picture to apply a religious statement,” so it photoshopped the crosses out, said an LSU spokesperson in an interview with ABC.

While the school apologized for altering the image, it is not something that should have happened in the first place. It is dishonest for the administration to block out one aspect of campus life.

When prospective students log onto the university’s website or flip through brochures, they expect to see an accurate depiction of the student body. While it is understandable that prospective students who do not come from religious backgrounds might see the crosses and feel out of place at LSU, they should not give the university any reason to believe the religious presence on campus is something to hide.

The crosses the students painted were just large enough to extend over their hearts and were hardly noticeable in the original photograph. Perhaps the university justified the editing because it was such a small detail. However, if the administration was that concerned about projecting a religious statement, they could have selected a different photograph. Typically, universities have stocks of promotional images from which they can draw.

This is not the first time a university has tried to alter its image. When some students apply to college, they actually gravitate toward universities that are diverse. In 2000, the University of Wisconsin at Madison went so far as to transpose an African-American student’s face onto promotional material to make the campus appear more racially diverse. Most universities value honesty and accuracy, and the promotional material they produce should emulate that.

Some students have already criticized LSU for its misstep. However, it would be interesting to see how other universities respond, if at all.

1. Hello, post your ad free in classifieds 🙂