No more full body scans, less intrusive imager

New x-ray machines developed by a Massachusetts company will not have body imaging. This image is an example of the new body image. COURTESY OF TSA.

The Transportation Security Administration has agreed to remove all full-body x-ray machines in airports and replace them with devices developed in Massachusetts that scan without showing airport employees an actual image of each traveler’s body.

Congress ordered in 2012 that all TSA body scanners have software called Automated Target Recognition, which allows officers to view a generic outline of the body instead of an image of the person being screened, according to the TSA blog.

Previously, the TSA had both machines with ATR and machines without ATR in airports across the country. The TSA terminated its contract with Rapiscan Systems, a company that created the full-body x-ray machines but was not able to equip their machines with ATR, according to the TSA blog.

The TSA announced it had ended its contract with Rapiscan to comply with Congress Jan. 18.

“At this point, all Millimeter wave units have been equipped with ATR, but even with the extension to 2013, Rapiscan was unable to fulfill their end of the contract and create the ATR software that would work with backscatter units,” according to the TSA blog. “As a result, TSA terminated the contract with Rapiscan in order to comply with the congressional mandate.”

Instead, the TSA has decided to replace Rapiscan’s full-body scanners with machines made by L-3 SDS. In a November press release, L-3 SDS announced it had been granted a $245 million contract with the TSA to develop and implement the new machines.

Vicki Blake, a public relations representative for L-3 SDS, said the machines with ATR are called ProVision ATD and are being used at various airports around the U.S.

“These [machines] are not x-ray at all, but a different technology called millimeter wave radio,” Blake said in an email. “These are not new machines, and have been in airports worldwide, including the U.S., for some time.”

The ProVision ATD machines eliminate privacy issues, according to the L-3 SDS website.

“ProVision ATD provides an image-free solution and eliminates privacy concerns,” stated the website. “Advanced software processes scanned data and determines if the individual can be cleared through the checkpoint.”

The TSA’s blog stated the movement to implement solely machines with ATR will allow travelers to travel faster and be more secure.
“By June 1, 2013 travelers will only see machines which have ATR that allow for faster throughput. This means faster lanes for the traveler and enhanced security,” the blog stated.

Some people said they prefer body scans with ATR, instead a system that displays an image of their body.

Sandy Williamson, 77, a nurse, said she thinks the full-body scanners infringe on privacy.

“I think it’s necessary to remove the full-body x-ray scanners,” she said.” I think it’s more invasive than just having an avatar. It’s an invasion of privacy.”

Still, others said the idea of full body-image scans did not bother them.

Cassandra Garcia, a student studying nursing at Massachusetts General Hospital, said, in an era wherein people might have fears of terrorism, the full-body scans make sense.

“In terms of security — especially for the airport and because of what happened with 9/11 — it’s [the use of full-body x-ray scanners] okay, just because it’s for security reasons,” she said.

Gabriele Giaroli, 19, a Boston University freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, also said, in some cases, privacy must be infringed for the sake of security.

“When it comes to this kind of security, your privacy doesn’t matter anymore,” she said.

1. kindly give us a quotation of provision 2 atd system