MARASCO: Girl Meets Reality

Isn’t it frustrating when grandpa blames the TV for not turning on, when actually he’s switching the dining room lights on and off? Don’t you put your face in your palm when uncle Bart says there hasn’t been a single good film produced since 1964? What about when great Aunt Carroll says that everyone was, “just nicer” in the 50s — when there was segregation.

That won’t ever be you. You keep up. Right? I bet Aunt Mildred didn’t think she’d end up with 14 cats when she was 20.

Today, I’d like to give an official warning. Consider this a PSA for everyone who’d like to avoid being that old man who writes a check to pay for a gallon of milk at the gas station convenience store.

There has been a great deal of giddiness over the development and impending release of “Girl Meets World.” In fact, it’s reaching dangerous levels. The dignity of my generation is in great danger. That is why I feel a duty to intervene. Please sit down, children of the 1980s and 1990s.

OK. Are we all ready? I don’t believe in mincing words so I’m going to get right to it. It’s for your own good. “Boy Meets World” sucked.  Seriously, it was awful.

That’s hard to hear. I know. I was shocked too when I heard the news that “Boy Meets World” was atrocious. But, I went back and watched the re-runs. Yikes.

Before you run out of the room screaming, let me explain. Of course I enjoyed the program as much as the next seven-year-old in 1997, but I now have one main issue with the show — I’m in my 20s. I used to eat mud when I was seven. I also used to call girls “gross.” OK. Fine. I still eat mud sometimes, but I had a conversation with a girl just the other day and she really wasn’t that icky. I’ve grown.

Cheesy writing, terrible acting and goofy endings to each episode where every character has a monologue that starts off something like this: “Gee golly, guys. I sure learned a lot this week.” Combine all that with the occasional melodramatic ensemble and those girls in the studio audience who hoot whenever a guy and girl hold hands — that was “Boy Meets World.”

That’s exactly the kind of show that you normally would make fun of. Be honest, it is. So, why do you fawn over “Boy Meets World”? Why are you marking off the days on your calendar until Cory and Topanga start bombarding us and their new daughter with suburban values? Because “Boy Meets World” was burned into your brain when you were seven. That’s why you love Cory Matthews, but not Carly Shay. Humans are all victims of their own nostalgia. It’s not your fault.

But, I don’t want you to be like jaded Aunt Jody, telling everyone that in “your day” there was way better television. It’s not true. There’s a bright, wonderful world of good television out there. I urge you to consider the truth, even though it’s scary to us. Change. Keep up. I don’t want you to be that guy screaming, “get off my lawn,” at the neighborhood kids.

Frank Marasco is a senior in the College of Communication. He can be reached at fcm820@bu.edu.

1. I find your article to be very true. I’m in my 20s, and I own the entire seires on DVD! My younger sister came over, and put one of the discs in, and she loved it. But I was thinking ‘So this was my childhood’. Of course BMW will always have a place in my heart, and I still love it to pieces, but TV nowadays is defiently a lot better 🙂
    ~Amey

• You are wrong Amey. I can watch Boy Meets World everyday and never get tired of it. This is the only show thats special. Other shows are crap. Its all musical shows, kids being better than adults, etc. I cant wait for Girl Meets World to air. That show will dominate many shows.

2. This is so completly wrong. I’m in my 20s and recently watched a few seasons and they are still good episodes. You are so wrong its incredible.

3. This article is wrong as well.

4. This article (if it can even be called that) is utterly ridiculous. To this day, BMW is a very entertaining and hearty show. It has more substance and meat than the line up of garbage on television today; dare I say combined! As I read this “entry of an article” I couldn’t help but think it was a sophomoric farce.

5. Click bait. That’s all this is.

6. I’m not going to say out and out that you are wrong, this article is an opinion piece so it really can’t be wrong so long as it is your honest opinion. However i do challenge the section in with you devalue the monologues of the show. That kind of programing, in which the characters actually learn a valuable lesson is something that is seriously lacking in tv today. Boy Meets World was wholesome as a coming of age show, the characters grew and learned life lessons right there, and passed those lessons on to the audience. Today, instead of this type of show, teenagers, members of my generation, watch “Keeping up With the Kardashians.” Is that progress. Television is a powerful tool, it can offer lessons and wisdom in a format that is appealing to youth; shows like Boy Meets World take advantage of this to offer a little bit of real world value.

7. Boy Meets World stands the test of time. It was one of the few shows on TV to address issues that people were afraid to talk about. If you think it sucked, then why invest so much time and energy into writing an “article” or should I say, rant, about it. Now if you’ll excuse me, the moose that I married and I have plans…