Nine festive locales to celebrate Thanksgiving in Boston

Legal Sea Foods will be hosting a traditional meal on Thanksgiving day. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Although a classic Thanksgiving usually involves a decorated dining table and an elaborate turkey feast, that is not the only way to have a memorable holiday. The Boston area is offering all sorts of ways to celebrate, from dancing to live music to giving back to the community — maybe even all three. Even if you are not able to go home this year or enjoy a homemade dish, there are countless ways to honor this American tradition — without having to spend too much money — around the city. Happy Thanksgiving!

Red Lentil

1600 Mount Auburn St.

Watertown, MA 02472 

Hours: Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 23 and 24 from 4:30 to 9:30 p.m.

Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be traumatizing for vegans and vegetarians. Join the Boston Vegetarian Society at Red Lentil for a wallet-friendly Thanksgiving meal — five full courses for $25. And, you get to celebrate early. The self-serve buffet will feature interesting, unprocessed and delicious flavors such as a Harvest Seitan Stew and Pumpkin Risotto Bites. If interested, click on the links above to sign up.

Beat Brasserie

13 Brattle St.

Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138

Hours: 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.

Who isn’t thankful for live music? If you feel like dancing, check out Beat Brasserie, an American restaurant and bar that features musicians specializing in jazz, blues, funk, R&B and world music. The spacious location, funky decorations and live performances are a combination that gives the restaurant a unique vibe and serves as a fun twist on a traditional holiday. This Thanksgiving, families are welcome to a day-long Beat Brasserie celebration with a special menu, including a la carte dishes from classic turkey to vegetarian options.

Anthem Kitchen + Bar

Faneuil Hall

Boston, MA 02109

Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

If you’re one for a wonderfully cozy yet lively setting, come to Anthem. Located in the heart of Boston’s famous Faneuil Hall, Anthem is offering, in addition to their full menu, various Thanksgiving Day specials including a turkey dinner for $28 and a “Turkey Gobbler” sandwich for $18. And for those in a shopping mood, Faneuil Hall is perfectly situated for you to get a head start on Black Friday deals.

Club Café

209 Columbus Ave.

Boston, MA 02116

Hours: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Club Café is an excellent choice for a celebration if you’re looking to eat well, dance your heart out and get into the giving spirit of the holiday. This year, both Thanksgiving Day and Thanksgiving Eve will be packed with energy and fun, as Club Café is hosting a “Glo party” — complete with black lights and lasers — the night before Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving Day, however, will take up an extra giving spirit, as the restaurant plans on donating 10 percent of the day’s proceeds to The Boston Living Center, which supports those living with HIV/AIDS.

Dosa Factory

316 Newbury St.

Boston, MA 02116 

Hours: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

If you’re looking for a new twist on Thanksgiving, Dosa Factory will be open during regular hours on Thanksgiving serving their best dishes, some of which include garlic naan, lassi and 17 types of dosa. With plenty of options for both carnivores and vegetarians, this is a great place to meet up with friends for a pre-Thanksgiving lunch or even start a new tradition.

Legal Sea Foods

Various Locations

Hours: Vary by location

Boston’s seafood staple Legal Sea Foods will be open for Thanksgiving in various locations throughout the city. Whether you want a modern dinner in Kendall Square or a waterfront view of Boston Harbor, Legal Sea Foods will be hosting a traditional Thanksgiving with regular menu items and a special turkey dinner that includes turkey breast with sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, butternut squash and cranberry sauce. Reservations are recommended and big parties can reserve private dining rooms in advance.

Joe’s American Bar and Grill

181 Newbury St.

Boston, MA 02116

Hours: 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.

If you’re looking for a turkey burger or a turkey dinner, this is the place for you. Located on the charming and festive Newbury Street, Joe’s American Bar and Grill is a neighborhood staple that will serve its regular menu along with a turkey dinner for $27 per person. Featuring a display kitchen, two full bars and private dining, Joe’s is perfect for a family dinner or a “friendsgiving.”

McCormick and Schmick’s Seafood & Steaks

Faneuil Hall

Boston, MA 02109

Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.

McCormick and Schmick’s Boston location in the very festive Faneuil Hall will be opening its doors on Thanksgiving for a full turkey dinner that includes roasted turkey, butternut squash, walnut mixed greens, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, apple squash casserole and cranberry sauce. Reservations are recommended.

Tavern in the Square

730 Massachusetts Ave.

Cambridge, MA 02139

161 Brighton Ave.

Boston, MA 02134

Hours: 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Thanksgiving is a day for turkey, but also a day for giving. If you’re interested in lending a hand to the Boston community this holiday, Tavern in the Square is looking for volunteers to serve free Thanksgiving dinner to more than 850 people in need across three of its locations. The hours are convenient for those planning to attend a separate Thanksgiving dinner, while still allowing you to give back to your community. If interested, email the location you are looking to serve at and expect a fun day of festive Thanksgiving cheer.