Lacrosse, Sports

Hartford casts aside men’s lacrosse, learning moments surface

Junior Sam Talkow netted one goal against the Hawks. PHOTO BY ABBY FREEMAN/DAILY FREE PRESS CONTRIBUTOR

A common theme reverberated throughout Boston University head coach Ryan Polley’s postgame press conference after the BU men’s lacrosse team fell 16-10 Saturday afternoon to the University of Hartford at Nickerson Field.

In different manners, the third-year coach echoed, “We just have to get better,” shedding light on the fact that BU (3-1) was outplayed in “every phase of the game” by the Hawks (1-0). Those sentiments were not the product of frustration either, as clearing troubles again surfaced, turnovers defined all four quarters and Hartford’s energetic approach was seldom managed.

Perhaps most telling of all, BU fell victim to two periods of Hartford dominance, both of which came at inopportune times. The America East foe surged to a 3-0 lead in the first quarter and bested junior goalkeeper Christian Carson-Banister eight times in the fourth, bookending an overall poor performance.

“I don’t think we had composure all day,” Polley said. “… Hartford was very opportunistic, and they did a great job. Lacrosse is a game of runs, and with their faceoff play and goalie play, they were able to put that together. Every time we tried to press out and make a play, they made us pay for it.”

Polley also made the point of giving Hartford “all the credit” several times after his team’s three-game winning streak was snapped, pointing out that BU was “pretty much chasing the whole game.”

The biggest threat was undoubtedly Hartford’s attack trio of freshman Dylan Jinks, sophomore Will Dulin and junior Jaedon Henderson. They finished with nine combined goals, often dishing on Carson-Banister from atop the crease. Despite its dominance, BU only trailed 7-4 at the half, after which Polley conveyed a message of getting “back into the game and [making] one play at a time.”

That took root somewhat, as the third quarter saw Hartford’s lead decreased to 8-6, but problems still persisted offensively. Goalkeeper Ryan Vanderford finished with 12 saves, stagnating the early-season surge freshman attack James Burr and sophomore attack Jack Wilson have enjoyed thus far.

“I attest it more to the execution,” Polley said of what plagued his team offensively. “We had opportunities and didn’t make shots in the beginning of the game and had some opportunities where we shot the ball really poorly. The first two shots of the game, we threw it right in the goalie’s stick from two feet away. Guys have to make better plays there.”

The Terriers managed to score the game’s final three goals, but Hartford had substituted out many of its key players by that point. With a reality check in hand, Polley pointed out that BU has to simply “get better and not worry about our opponent.”

He reservedly offered up the assertion that “people aren’t talking about Hartford” in national conversations, but this defeat might change their rhetoric somewhat. Also, Polley said it’s time for his team to dig deep, and that burden falls on the shoulder of the team’s captains.

“They’re the chosen leaders and the leaders by seniority,” Polley said. “They’ve got to grow up and help this team find its way. We’re just too inconsistent right now, and I’m hoping this is a good thing for us, because you never want to lose a game. Everything we get we’ve got to earn, and we just have to play better.”

Looking ahead, BU will have little reprieve, as No. 16 United States Naval Academy is next on the docket. Considered by many as strong Patriot League contenders, the Midshipmen (2-1) will visit Nickerson Field next Saturday in both teams’ first conference matchup.

With all to play for, Polley stressed that it’s important for BU to correct its uncharacteristically errant ways.

“We want to have a quick memory, and certainly we want to get better in the areas that we weren’t very good at,” Polley said. “At the same time, it’s a long season and we can’t lament in this. We have to move on and get better and make decisions. We can’t wait until Wednesday or Thursday to flush the Hartford game out, but we absolutely have to learn from it.”

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.