Lacrosse, Sports

Laible, Meegan emerge as reliable options for women’s lacrosse

BU will play seven of its last 10 games at Nickerson Field. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

When junior goalkeeper Caroline Meegan went down in the Boston University women’s lacrosse team’s season-opening loss to Boston College, an admittedly inexperienced backup stepped in.

That player was Christine Laible, and the sophomore has filled in admirably this season, posting 23 saves and a .383 save percentage. However, in last Tuesday’s 14-4 victory over American University, Meegan returned to the lineup, recording 14 saves in the process.

With two solid options between the pipes, BU (2-4, 1-0 Patriot League) head coach Liz Robertshaw explained that she’s “ecstatic” for how her goalkeeping situation has played out. Meegan and Laible challenge one another in practice, causing each netminder to always be at their best.

“Christine set the tone for us, and then Caroline had to fight to get her spot back, and she did that,” Robertshaw said. “I feel we have two great goaltenders that should something happen with Caroline right now, Laible is ready to go. And I have 100 percent confidence in her that she can go in and play well and get us a win.”

Hardison proving worth in midfield

The attack duo of sophomore Mickenzie Larivee and senior Mallory Collins may garner headlines, but their success could not come about without the help of attack Taylor Hardison.

The junior has a team-leading 12 assists on the year and averages two helpers a game, good for a share of fourth best in the Patriot League. Hardison’s performance comes after a nine-assist season in 2015, but Robertshaw said her creative force isn’t going to “surprise too many people” down the road.

“There have been a couple inconsistencies in her game, which is something that we have been working through,” Robertshaw said. “I know I’m hard on Taylor as a coach because I know she can be really good, and I challenge her both in her play and with her vision and game knowledge.”

After lengthy road swing, Nickerson Field beckons

Roughly a third into their season, the Terriers have seldom benefitted from the friendly confines of Nickerson Field.

Five of their six contests have taken place on the road, but that will change when the scarlet and white host Bucknell University Saturday. Furthermore, of BU’s 10 remaining games, seven will take place at home.

While the Terriers have struggled somewhat on the road, Robertshaw assured that the team is excited to soon be in a comfortable environment.

Ally Adams is thriving in a senior leadership role for BU. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

“Being on the road in the beginning, there were some tough parts about it, missing school and things like that,” Robertshaw said. “There were also some perks. We got away some, the team really spent time with each other without all the distractions that there are here in Boston and enjoyed that time, but I know they’re excited at playing at home the next couple games.”

Moreover, the upcoming schedule will offer BU luxuries it couldn’t enjoy on the road.

“There’s a comfort to Nickerson Field,” Robertshaw said. “It’s great to be by the dining hall. They sleep in their own beds, and there’s a nice part of the routine that I think we’re all very much looking forward to, coaches included.”

Depth emerging across all positions, class years

As things stand, 16 Terriers have appeared in five or more games this year, showcasing unparalleled depth that not every collegiate team can benefit from.

Whether it’s someone such as senior midfielder Ally Adams offering a balanced effort (nine goals and seven assists) or sophomore midfielder Sarah Anderson contributing in a subtly important manner, BU has options across the board. Come Patriot League competition, Robertshaw expects this to be invaluable.

“We can have freshmen midfielders who can go in, play well, make an impact and then come off the field,” Robertshaw said. “We can have junior defenders go in and be great if maybe one of our defenders isn’t having a great day. I think it’s huge for us, and it’s settling as a coach to know we have lots of options. Everyone has to bring their best game because someone is fighting for their position.”

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.