INTERVIEW: DJ Fried Rice serves up Boston fan-favorite tunes

DJ Fried Rice, also known as Questrom School of Business freshman Ryan Ng, prepares to spin a set at the Catholic Center Spring Formal Friday night at The Towers. PHOTO BY KELSEY CRONIN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

DJ Fried Rice started his career by compiling dance mixes for his high school’s dance team. He worked with student production services at school events, but DJ Fried Rice built a name for himself when he was requested to play at gigs in school.

But how exactly did DJ Fried Rice, also known as Boston University Questrom School of Business freshman Ryan Ng, get his name?

“One night, me and my floormates went to [100] Bay State to eat at Late Night Kitchen, and I looked at the menu,” Ng said. “In my head I was like, ‘DJ Steak, DJ Hamburger, DJ Mac-N-Cheese, DJ Fried Rice.’ … My only reason [for choosing this stage name] is because I like fried rice. It’s not because I’m Indonesian.“

The moniker was coined just in time for his first gig at the House of Blues, an opportunity he won in a competition with 30 other international DJs hosted by Glow Boston, Boston’s college night event series.

Ng, who receives an average of one gig per month, has also played at the Middle East Restaurant and Nightclub, Wonder Bar, the BU Beach and the Franklin Lounge in The Towers. Generally, he plays electronic music and attempts to keep a balance between pop and underground songs.

Progressive, electronic super group Swedish House Mafia’s “music style, live performances … production quality [and] energy” inspired Ng to begin his career. His favorite genres of music include deep house and techno. Another DJ he admires is Skrillex.

“[It’s] definitely more than just a hobby — it’s a passion,” Ng said. “I can’t live without music … You just get addicted to it.”

Ng said he prioritizes schoolwork but procrastinates by re-organizing his playlists and listening to new songs. He said that he would not turn away from a career in DJing if he happens to become famous.

Though DJ Fried Rice has accumulated 333 likes on Facebook, he confessed that the hardest part of being a DJ is to face those who criticize his name because they believe it has racist undertones, or those that dislike his mixes.

“They don’t know what it is, and it’s not pop music,” Ng said. “If it’s a really good mix, [it has] no vocals. It’s all club style, house, progressive house, electro house that festival people play. These are the kinds of songs you’ll hear at Ultra Music Festival. Then people are like, ‘No, you’re a s— DJ, I don’t know this song.’

“If you just play down the Top 40 charts on Spotify, people will think you’re a good DJ, but you have no skill — you’re just following the Spotify trends. I mean, you can follow trends, but you have to set your own statement.”

In Indonesia, people often request EDM and high-energy songs like “Uptown Funk.” In Boston, however, Ng said that he has to be more careful. The crowds in Boston request rap, trap, hip-hop and artists like Drake, Future and Kendrick Lamar.

A more recent gig Ng has played was for the Israeli Indie Freedom Fest on the BU Beach on Sunday, April 17. He said Hillel asked him to play some peaceful songs, such as Black Eyed Peas’ “Where Is the Love?” and the Israeli national anthem.

“This is my music,” Ng said. “I like it so much. I’d like to share it with you, because I think it sounds good. And when the reception is good … and you see them dancing, then you’re satisfied.”

At parties, Ng said he watches the crowd and shifts the playlist when he notices a change in mood. He prepares a backup playlist with popular songs like “U Can’t Touch This” by MC Hammer and “Turn Down For What” by DJ Snake and Lil Jon.

“If you want to judge a DJ, judge them by their transitions … the way they react to the crowd,” Ng said. “[A good DJ] choose[s] the best songs at the right time.”

One of his favorite things to do is to build up a high-energy song, then switch to a song like “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston.

“It gets a good response, and it’s funny at the same time,” he said. “And it’s a song everyone knows.”

In the future, Ng said he intends on producing music, playing with software, receiving more gigs and frequenting clubs to investigate which songs the crowds react to hone in on his DJ skills.