Women’s hockey splits weekend series against UConn

Senior defenseman Alexis Crossley had two assists in the weekend series against UConn. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s hockey team won the first leg of a home-and-home series on the road against the University of Connecticut on Friday night, but lost the second contest less than 24 hours later at home.

The Terriers (11-6-1, 7-6-0 Hockey East) and Huskies (9-6-3, 4-3-1 Hockey East) came out of the first period in a 0-0 tie Friday night, as both teams played tough defense and made big saves.

“Tonight’s game was definitely highlighted by some really solid goaltending by [senior] Victoria Hanson,” said BU head coach Brian Durocher. “I thought our team defensively was very sound and in the right place most of the game.”

BU stepped it up in the second period with three consecutive goals in a 10-minute span, though.

Sophomore forward Sammy Davis scored the Terriers’ first goal in the eighth minute with assists from senior defender Alexis Crossley and junior defender Savannah Newton.

Junior forward Nina Rodgers quickly followed up with a goal of her own to give BU a 2-0 lead. The transfer from Minnetonka, Minnesota scored her fourth goal of the season on the play, and was assisted by Davis and senior forward Samantha Sutherland.

Graduate student forward Mary Parker scored the final goal of the second period at the 17:02 mark, assisted by Rodgers and junior forward Victoria Bach.

Entering the final period with a three-goal lead, the Terriers surrendered their first goal to UConn defender Leah Lum just over 30 seconds into the period.

BU closed out the game with a goal by Bach with help from Parker and freshman forward Deziray De Sousa, pulling out a hard-earned 4-1 win against the Huskies.

“The only goal we did give up was a five-on-three power-play goal,” Durocher said. “Clearly, the defense was the best part of the game tonight and something that we have been talking about and working on for a long time now.”

The Terriers were not as fortunate in their second leg against the Huskies on Saturday at Walter Brown Arena. As was a theme throughout the game, BU had more shot attempts than UConn in the first period, but could not find the back of the net.

The Huskies went ahead in 18th minute of the period on a power-play goal from senior Kelly Harris.

“Their first goal meant a lot,” Durocher said. “This team has unbelievable confidence, and they weren’t flustered about yesterday. I give them a lot of credit for following through on what they believe in and what they have confidence in.”

The Terriers kicked off the second period with a quick goal by Davis scored on a power play, assisted by Crossley and freshman defender Abby Cook.

The Huskies’ left wing Marisa Maccario put UConn back on top just one minute after BU’s goal with assists from defender Kayla Mee and forward Lindsay Roethke.

The Terriers came out of the second period having attempted 22 shots to the Huskies’ 14, but they could not manage to tie up the game.

“I think that we kind of just took them lightly and we thought that it could’ve been the same game as yesterday, but every day is different,” Davis said. “I think that we just really need to realize what the end result is, which is Hockey East NCAA Championship.”

With just one minute left in the final period, BU pulled Hanson to play with six players on the attack, hoping to tie the game. The Terriers dominated puck possession to end the period, but didn’t score.

“Pucks didn’t get in the net today,” Durocher said. “I thought we were a little lax early in the game, not really being committed to offense. We need to be just a little sharper, and a little bit of luck once in awhile helps.”