Advocacy groups canvas against transgender protections repeal

The Massachusetts transgender anti-discrimination veto referendum could nullify transgender protections in public places, such as public restrooms. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/ DFP FILE PHOTO

As transgender protections increasingly come into question in Massachusetts, most recently with the transgender anti-discrimination veto referendum set to appear as a question on next year’s ballot, pro-transgender rights groups have advocated statewide to maintain protections.

Numerous canvassing efforts have been held by Freedom for All Massachusetts and the Massachusetts chapter of the National Association of Social Workers, most recently Saturday morning in Charlestown, allowing supporters and the transgender community to educate others in Massachusetts about transgender rights.

In the 2018 elections, Massachusetts voters will be asked whether they believe legislation protecting transgender people from being discriminated against in terms of public accommodations — such as public restrooms and locker rooms.

Freedom for All Massachusetts is currently getting ready to “fight this dangerous and discriminatory repeal effort,” according to a flyer sent out by the organization.

“The discrimination is real, the harassment is pervasive, and the need for a clear statement of prohibition by our government is urgent,” according to a press release from Freedom for All Massachusetts from 2015 in which the organization pledged to fight for transgender rights.

Matthew Wilder, spokesperson for Freedom for All Massachusetts, wrote in an email that the organization is currently engaged in a state-wide field operation informing voters on how the veto referendum would affect the transgender community.

“A repeal of the current law protecting transgender people in public places would be a giant step backwards for Massachusetts,” Wilder wrote. “Repealing the law would mean that transgender people would be at real risk of harassment, discrimination and assault.”

David Topping, field director for Freedom for All Massachusetts, said getting rid of the law would only serve to increase the harassment transgender people already face.

“Our canvassing is directly related to the bill, to have them uphold the current law protecting transgender people,” Topping said.

Sophie Hansen, political director for NASW–MA, wrote in an email the canvasses hosted have been focused on ensuring the transgender community has the same protections and rights as everybody else.

“Transgender individuals’ identity has been up for discussion ever since it first came on the scene as being described as “gender dysphoria” in previous versions of the [Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders] that mental health professionals used,” Hansen wrote. “[T]he reality is that their identity does not affect society in any way other than modernizing existing laws to include them.”

Hansen explained they are also trying to debunk myths regarding the transgender community, such as the belief that transgender individuals pose a threat to individuals around them when permitted to use the bathroom of their choice. Conversely, she wrote, transgender people are the ones more likely to be assaulted or harassed in these situations.

Several Boston residents participating in the Freedom for All Massachusetts and NASW–MA organized canvassing event in Charlestown Saturday expressed their support for campaigns backing the rights of transgender people, and said they believe no one should face discrimination based on their identity.

Debra Imperioso, 53, of Merrimac, said since her son is transgender, this issue is extremely close to her heart.

No one should be denied service [or] admittance anywhere because of who they are,” Imperioso said. “It’s just wrong to discriminate.”

Emily Hamilton, 28, of Malden, said she attended the canvassing event to speak for those who are being discriminated against which she often does as an ordained Lutheran pastor.

“I promised to speak publicly to the world in solidarity with the oppressed, calling for justice and proclaiming God’s love,” Hamilton said. “If transgender people, who God loves so much, are facing oppression in Massachusetts, I have to speak out.”

Athena Macone, 21, of Amesbury, said he attended because the transgender community is often the victim of hate crimes stemming from religious hatred or other types of cruelty.

“Allowing transgender discrimination would enable businesses to turn people away on the basis of being trans,” Macone said. “If they went to law enforcement, if one of my trans brothers or sisters were violently assaulted, the police would do nothing to help them. That’s why we need these laws. Both for public spaces and when worse comes to worst.”