University Librarian Robert Hudson stepping down, search for replacement underway

Robert Hudson, the head librarian at Boston University, is retiring at the end of the semester. PHOTO BY JACKIE O’BRIEN/ DFP FILE PHOTO

After almost 40 years of working in Boston University libraries, University Librarian Robert Hudson announced his retirement from the position last semester. The university has established a University Librarian Search Advisory Committee to find his replacement.

Hudson will continue to serve as university librarian until the national search committee finds a successor, according to a memo written by University Provost Jean Morrison that was sent to faculty and staff in September.

Morrison said in a phone interview that the committee will try to find someone who will be able to understand the complexity of the role and create a path forward, continuing Hudson’s legacy.

“We’re looking for someone who is deeply knowledgeable about the state-of-the-art [nature] of the modern research university library system,” Morrison said. “Someone with knowledge and experience about the national and global landscape of what libraries are doing now.”

Morrison wrote in the memo that Hudson’s work has been crucial to the transition from print to digital resources throughout the university’s libraries.

“Bob has strategically led library-wide organizational change and the continual development of expertise within the library staff to respond to new impact areas (such as Open Access) and to shift resources from print-based processes and collections to digital and emerging areas,” Morrison wrote.

Thomas Casserly, an associate university librarian for undergraduate and distance learning, wrote in an email that Hudson has enabled BU to be the first to adopt modern library services that are now widespread.

“Bob Hudson worked to make sure BU Libraries had the strongest collections possible in an era of tremendous change,” Casserly wrote, “probably the most change libraries have seen since the invention of the printing press.”

Hudson was instrumental in the implementation of OpenBU, an archive of public access documents produced by BU faculty, students and staff.

Morrison said that while the demands of Hudson’s job have changed over time, the fundamental duty of his position remains the same.

“The core responsibility of the University Librarian — which is to understand how to best serve faculty and students — remains unchanged,” Morrison said. “The manner in which the library responds to the needs of faculty and students, it is fair to say, is evolving.”

BU spokesperson Colin Riley wrote in an email that Hudson’s work in the BU libraries shows a true love of learning and academia.

“Bob Hudson has done a tremendous job in overseeing the University’s libraries, its collections, and materials through a period of incredible technological change,” Riley wrote. “And he has done it with a warm heart, a sharp wit, a dedication to the University, and genuine care for students, staff and faculty.”

Several students said they appreciate the studious atmosphere and large pool of resources at BU libraries that Hudson has helped to establish and support.

Meredith McDuffie, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she likes studying in the quiet, focused atmosphere of BU libraries.

“It’s a really good way to feel like a part of a community and feel like you’re a community that cares about their education and also getting to focus on yourself within that quiet space,” McDuffie said of studying in the libraries.

Casserly wrote that Hudson has always been committed to helping students while remaining loyal to the library staff.

“I have always found Bob Hudson open to ideas and willing to listen,” Casserly wrote. “He has given me the ability to grow professionally, endured my weaknesses, and encouraged my strengths.”

Morrison said Hudson’s retirement will be a significant loss for BU.

“It is worth repeating that Bob Hudson has done just a wonderful job.” Morrison said. “He’s been an outstanding steward for the libraries at Boston University. We’ve all enjoyed working with him and we’re sorry to see him go.”