Boston activist group recognizes MLK’s contributions to movements of today

A protester holds up a sign at “Not1More- Rally Vs Cop Brutality StephonClark2TerrenceColeman” on Wednesday night. The rally was hosted by Massachusetts Action Against Police Brutality. PHOTO COURTESY MASS ACTION AGAINST POLICE BRUTALITY

Mass Action Against Police Brutality is still defending victims of police gun shootings — and now, they’re recognizing the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for encouraging similar activism.

The group held a rally on Wednesday for the 50th anniversary of the assassination of King. Brock Satter, an organizer with MAAPB, said the day of King’s death was symbolic for members of the black community and those fighting for civil rights.

Leaders of Mass Action called for “true equality” to be manifested and “not just on paper,” Satter said. The organization represents a larger movement, he said, but is trying to bring the message back home to Boston.

A year and a half ago, Terrence Coleman was shot and killed by a police officer in Boston. The community has previously honored Coleman with a “take a knee” protest, inspired by NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

We can’t just rely on the courts and politicians or the authorities to do the right thing,” Satter said. “They have to be compelled, unfortunately.”

Several Boston residents like Joan Stagg, 53, of South Boston, said they support the movements that are pushing for equality. Stagg said she is convinced the American youth will step up to the plate.

“I think it’s beautiful to see people come together in support of a movement,” Stagg said. “MLK called upon people to take to the streets and to make their voices heard, and this younger generation is making waves — these kids are a force to be reckoned with.”

The issue of police “brutality” is “ongoing,” Satter said, with none of the highlighted cases becoming solved.

“We are trying to help families get their stories out,” he said. “We’re trying to fight for anybody who needs their voice.”

Daniel Moon, 67, of Back Bay, said he sympathized with the black community and the message they are trying to get across.

“The fact of the matter is that black people still feel targeted in this country, and they feel like no one is listening to them,” Moon said. “Their brothers are being shot by police, whether or not it is warranted, and in many of these cases, the police officers have been white. They’re screaming to the world and want their story told, and this is exactly what MLK fought for, and gave his life for.”

When individuals choose to join the movement, Satter said he hopes they do not get caught up on an end goal of change, but focus on the message that these communities have been trying to get across: young black men are dying in the streets.

In taking to the streets, the MAAPB emphasized that they intend to keep the country moving forward toward more equality, he said. He made the point that the issue can’t be ignored by the media any longer.

Satter said he hopes the movement grows in participation and not just mere support. In order for the movement to gain any foothold, they need more people actively participating in dialogue, and not just observing, he said.

Robert Leaston, 36, South End, said he is optimistic about the future of the black community in the United States.

“I think MLK would be proud to see how far we’ve come as a society on the whole, although I do agree that things could be better,” Leaston said. “We are making waves and we’re making changes.”