Shu Da Xia Hotpot opened after delayed construction due to COVID-19

Hot Pot
Shu Daxia Hotpot at 580 Commonwealth Avenue. TALIA LISSAUER/DFP STAFF

Shu Da Xia Hotpot opened in May after prolonged construction due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The restaurant is located at 580 Commonwealth Avenue, across the main entrance of Questrom School of Business. It specializes in “authentic Sichuan spicy hotpot,” with a variety of soup bases adjusted to different levels of spiciness, two buffet tables for customized dipping sauce, and distinct raw meat ready to be served in innovative ways.

Some tables are separated by wooden doors which resemble ancient Chinese architecture, next to crimson chairs and food stands. Each table is suited for four or more customers with one or two circular heaters at the center for poaching sliced pork belly or priming marinated beef. 

According to Leroy Lee, the manager of Shu Da Xia Hotpot, the plan was to start business at the end of 2019, but COVID-19 disrupted the construction and delayed its opening.

“A lot of BU students thought we were closed because we put our logo outside for a really long time,” Ivory Guan, manager and shareholder of the restaurant and a BU alumni, said. “It never closed. We just didn’t open at that time.”

After its opening, the restaurant has seen brisk business despite its lack of advertising.

“(The restaurant) meets my expectations,” Guan said. “Since COVID almost ended, students are coming back.”

Some knew the opening of Shu Da Xia Hotpot from their friends or notifications on social media, while others knew from passing by the restaurant.

“It’s a good place to enjoy time with my friends and it’s very near to BU,” Yaning Song, a sophomore in the College of General Studies, said. “So after classes, we can go there to have our dinner or lunch.”

The restaurant has a special way to greet customers, which impressed Song when she went with her friend.

“After we arrive and have our seats, they will say ‘Da Xia liang wei,’” Song said, which means “great warriors of two.” “I was surprised with that because other restaurants don’t have that.”

Anni Tang, a sophomore in CGS, said she heard about Shu Da Xia as a hotpot’s brand before, which prompted her to dine in with her roommate.

“I thought Shu Da Xia was a [chain restaurant], but I haven’t tried it before in other areas,” Tang said. “So I’m really looking forward to try it [in Boston].”

Huayu Chen, a senior at College of Arts and Science, said they have already been to the restaurant three times. 

“There is one dish called Brown Sugar Rice Cake,” they said. “I order it every single time. It was pretty good.”

Overall, students feel satisfied with having another restaurant they can go eat at nearby campus.

“The location was good, but the price was a little bit pricey but not like super pricey,” Chen said. “If there is a rating for this restaurant 1 to 10, I would rate it 9 out of 10.”