Women’s hockey returns home to take on Huskies

With an underwhelming conference road trip still fresh in its mind, the No. 6 Boston University women’s hockey team will make the quick turnaround at home Tuesday versus Northeastern University.

Junior forward Rebecca Russo scored a goal in BU’s last meeting against Northeastern in the Hockey East Semifinals on March 8, 2014. PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DFP FILE PHOTO

This past weekend, the Terriers (4-2, 1-1 Hockey East) headed north to Orono, Maine to drop the puck with the University of Maine. Against the Black Bears (3-5-1, 2-1 Hockey East) squad on Saturday, BU handily won the first game in the two-game series by a score of 3-0 after some mistake-free goaltending from sophomore Victoria Hanson and freshman Erin O’Neil. Hanson earned the victory in the 24-save team shutout.

However, the Terriers were outmatched by the Black Bears in the second game on Sunday. After a first-period score by junior forward Rebecca Russo, Maine rebounded to score four unanswered goals, including three in the third period. The Terriers salvaged one more score, but the damage was done, as they went on to lose 4-2 for their first conference loss of the season.

“Whenever you’ve had a good run like we have, you’ve got a bit of a target on your back,” said BU coach Brian Durocher. “We were picked to finish first in the conference, so we just have to be a little bit extra ready for each game. We have to know that every game, we have to bring our best.”

Just over a week after a two-game road sweep of defending national champion Clarkson University, BU certainly faces questions of consistency in light of its most recent game.

“We weren’t as thorough or disciplined as we were at Clarkson,” Durocher said. “I just felt like we were taking some liberties, our line changes were average, we didn’t play smart and we caught some bad breaks [against Maine]. We had the chance to cash in on some great scoring opportunities, but we didn’t.”

The Terriers will have the chance to make a statement Tuesday when they host the Huskies (1-2-3).

Struggling to find its offensive stride, Northeastern has managed 2.2 goals per game average thus far into the young season. The Huskies’ poor special teams play corroborates their attack’s inefficiency, as their power play is converting at an 8.3 percent rate.

Leading Northeastern from between the pipes is senior Chloe Desjardins, a former Hockey East All-Star Honorable Mention. The Saint-Prosper, Quebec native has impressed with a 1.77 goals-against average and .932 save percentage.

Facing a formidable conference foe, the Terriers’ potent attack, led by senior forward Marie-Philip Poulin, will need to step it up in order to outmatch Desjardins and the Huskies. Despite averaging 3.3 goals per game, BU could also use a boost from its special teams, converting a mere 13.6 percent of its chances on the power play, a figure not characteristic of a Durocher-coached bunch.

“Everybody needs to take advantage of special teams,” Durocher said. “You’ve got the extra man out there, and you’ve got the advantage. Eventually, it adds up. But when we’re playing well [on even strength] and we’re getting screens in front of a good goalie like Chloe [Desjardins], it’s just as important as the power play.”

Completing a three-game set in just five days, BU will also face possible fatigue issues against their cross-town rivals.

“It [our recent schedule] does [take a toll],” Durocher said. “But the tables will be pretty equal. Northeastern is coming off of a two-game stretch at Robert Morris [University], so they’ll be tired as well. We’ll be on equal footing. The team that plays smarter and more thorough will win. My hope is that we play like we did against Clarkson. If we do that, we have a great chance to win.”

Justin is a former Sports Editor for the Daily Free Press. In the past, he has covered the BU field hockey, men's basketball, women's hockey and women's lacrosse teams. Justin has interned at WEEI.com and serves as Editor-In-Chief of the Cleveland sports blog, Straight Down Euclid. Follow him on Twitter: @just_a_pal