Women’s basketball looking to improve away from Case Gym

Sophomore forward Meghan Green was named Patriot League Player of the Week Wednesday. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Looking to build off its victory against Stephen F. Austin State University Saturday, the Boston University women’s basketball team is set to continue its season Wednesday with a home contest against the University of New Hampshire.

In what has been a recurring trend during the 2014-15 campaign, the Terriers (3-3) have shown they are more efficient when playing at home. In their two games at Case Gym this season, the Terriers have averaged a field-goal percentage of 42 percent.

Likewise, BU has been just as good on defense while playing at home this season. Opponents have shot just over 32 percent from the floor in both games, which is surprising for the Terriers, who have only outscored opponents by a combined six points in those games. BU coach Katy Steding said she has not noticed any difference in play at home compared to away, but she admits the team likes to play in Case Gym.

“[We’re] hyped up to play at home and a little bit of luck,” Steding said, laughing. “You’re always going to shoot better when you’re in familiar surroundings, so that’s helpful. We shot much better the second game [against Stephen F. Austin State University] than in the first game, so once these kids get a little bit of sea legs and they figure some things out, they’re pretty good to go.”

Going back to the 2013-14 season, the Terriers have won seven of their last nine games at home, including their last four, and they hope to continue that success against the Wildcats (3-2).

On the road, the Terriers have been a different team. In its three losses, all of which were on the road, the team is averaging a 35.2 shooting percentage from the floor, including a season-low 30.2 percent in their 73-56 loss to Boston College on Nov. 20. The only road loss in which BU was not outshot was the Friday game against the University of New Mexico, in which the Lobos (1-5) shot 31.7 percent to the Terriers’ 35.6 percent.

Meghan Green impresses on court

One of the most consistent performers for the Terriers this season has been sophomore forward Meghan Green, and the Patriot League recognized her play on Wednesday when they awarded her Player of the Week honors.

In her three games the previous week, Green averaged 18.3 points per game, 10.3 rebounds per game and shot 20-for-38 from the floor. Against Harvard University on Nov. 17, Green recorded a career-high in points with 19, only to outdo herself on Nov. 20, when she scored 22 against Boston College (4-2), the highest single-game total of any Terrier this year.

In her last two games, the Bedford, New Hampshire native shot 40 percent with 19 points and 12 rebounds, and she currently leads the team in 12 categories including points, points per game, rebounds and free-throw percentage. Steding commended Green’s job this season, but also gave credit to the rest of her players.

“This season, Meghan’s done a really terrific job, but as a post player, she’s often waiting for her teammates to get her the ball, which is a credit to them,” she said. “But she’s [also] just finishing shots. She’s a tough kid. I’ve never heard her complain all year about anything we’ve been doing. She’s been a really solid performer for us.”