Suspicious package investigated at Cummington Mall

The Boston University and Boston police departments investigated reports of a suspicious package at 24 Cummington St. Monday. PHOTO BY ALLIE WIMLEY/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
The Boston University and Boston police departments investigated a report of a suspicious package Thursday at 24 Cummington Mall. PHOTO BY ALLIE WIMLEY/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University Police Department and Boston Police Department responded to a report of a suspicious package at 24 Cummington Mall at approximately 10:30 a.m. Thursday, said BUPD Detective Lieutenant Peter DiDomenica.

A faculty member reported receiving a suspicious package, DiDomenica said. The incident prompted BUPD to close the Cummington Mall area and send out an emergency service alert to students around 11 a.m.

“They received a package through the mail that they thought was suspicious, so we had some officers evaluate it,” DiDomenica said. “We thought it would be in the best interest to have experts in hazardous materials look at the package.”

DiDomenica said it is “internal policy” to notify the BPD bomb squad and the Boston Fire Department to evaluate suspicious items.

“The Boston Police has a bomb squad and hazardous materials unit, so they were asked to respond. Probably around 10:30, quarter to 11 [a.m.] they arrived,” he said. “They generally x-ray and test the suspicious item, and they cleared it, so it turned out to be harmless, and the all clear was given.”

Police activity on Cummington Mall ended at approximately 11:15 a.m., according to a subsequent alert message sent to students.

Editor-in-Chief. Bostonian by way of Indiana. Excessive Instagrammer. Seltzer addict. Journalism junkie, storytelling fiend.