Field Hockey, Sports

No. 14 field hockey’s win over No. 20 American seals regular season title

Senior forward Sara Martineau scored the deciding goal in BU's win at American this weekend. PHOTO BY JOHN KAVOURIS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Senior forward Sara Martineau scored the deciding goal in BU’s win at American this weekend. PHOTO BY JOHN KAVOURIS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

On Saturday afternoon in the nation’s capital, the No. 14 Boston University field hockey team bested conference rival No. 20 American University 2-1 in a matchup of Patriot League heavyweights.

The Terriers (12-5, 5-1 Patriot League) claimed the conference’s regular season title for the second consecutive season by triumphing over the Eagles (11-6, 5-1 Patriot League). BU secured home field advantage throughout the Patriot League Tournament with the win, and will look to make its third straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

Entering the match with an unblemished league record, the Eagles were unable to penetrate the Terrier defense.

Although it was senior night for four American players, it was a pair of Terrier seniors who stole the show on Saturday. Senior forward Sara Martineau netted the game-winning goal and fellow forward Amanda Cassera assisted on both tallies to pace the Terrier attack.

“We came up with two really big goals and particularly Sara Martineau’s goal late in the game,” BU head coach Sally Starr said. “[She] poised, and got the goalie to commit.”

The game did not come without its struggles, as the Terriers had trouble getting shots off against American throughout the match.

“It was a very difficult game today,” Starr said. “I think American played us really tough.”

American’s strong offensive attack was stopped by the Terriers’ defense, which has been their backbone this season, in the first half.

American had an opportunity in the third minute as an errant BU pass was controlled at the top of the circle by the Eagles, but sophomore forward Ally Hammel was able to corral a loose ball to stymie the attack.

In the 18th minute, the Eagles earned a penalty corner courtesy of American senior Jess Davis, but the BU defense came up strong once again, turning away Davis’ and teammate Kathryn Roncoroni’s redirected efforts to keep the game scoreless.

BU’s defense came up clutch again in the final five minutes of the first half, stopping two more American penalty corners.

Despite the Eagles outshooting the Terriers 6-1, each side went into halftime deadlocked at zero.

American’s pressuring of BU’s defense was forgotten when the visitors capitalized on a scoring opportunity.

Four minutes into the second half, sophomore forward Kara Enoch collected a pass from Cassera and was able to dart a shot past American goalkeeper Maura Jacobs for the 1-0 lead.

BU’s lead was short-lived, as American answered back in the 55th minute. Forward Haley Bowcutt netted her seventh goal of the campaign off a pass from sophomore Rafaela Rubas, who ranks among the top five in the league in scoring, to tie the game at one.

The Eagles’ rejuvenated outlook quickly derailed 12 minutes later when the Terriers claimed the league crown.

In the 67th minute, Cassera controlled a long outlet and dumped a pass to the right flank in the direction of Martineau.

The Eagles’ defense stepped out to control Cassera, letting the wide-open Martineau fire off a shot toward the opposite side of the net for her third goal of the season and the tally that propelled the Terriers to victory.

“It’s key having eight seniors on a team,” Starr said. “They really wanted to compete for the opportunity to have the conference championship back in Boston again.”

The Patriot League Tournament comes to New Balance Field this weekend with the Terriers as the No. 1 seed, followed by No. 2 American,  No. 3 College of the Holy Cross and No. 4 Bucknell University.

BU begins tournament play with a matchup against the Bison (9-8, 3-3 Patriot League) on Friday afternoon, and the team will look to ride the momentum from this crucial road victory.