Local organizations show appreciation for EPA workers

A pop-up rally breaks out Tuesday morning at the New England EPA building to show appreciation for the EPA Region 1 workers. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Local environmental organizations rallied Tuesday morning at the Environmental Protection Agency’s New England office to demonstrate appreciation for EPA workers, highlighting the agency’s work as well as improvements that can be made within Massachusetts.

The Massachusetts Sierra Club co-sponsored the 30-minute EPA Appreciation Pop Up Rally, which drew approximately 80 demonstrators to the EPA Region 1 office building.

As workers entered the building, supporters pumped cardboard signs in the air and cheered to show their thanks.

The Home Energy Efficiency Team and Massachusetts Interfaith Power and Light also co-sponsored the rally, according to the rally’s Facebook page.

Emily Norton, chapter director of the Massachusetts Sierra Club and a Newton city councilor, told The Daily Free Press she considers working at the EPA as challenging but necessary.

“It’s already a tough job to work in environmental protection, whether it be [at] the nonprofit level or the government level,” Norton said. “A lot of people in the United States take for granted the protections that are in place until something happens like Flint. We used to have much worse air quality.”

While claiming that EPA employees’ work is noteworthy, Norton said the state still has a long way to go regarding environmentally sustainable living.

This summer, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court found that the state was not in compliance with the Global Warming Solutions Act, a framework passed by state legislators in 2008 in order to reduce heat-trapping emissions, Norton said.

“Even here in Massachusetts, while we’re a leader among other states, we are not where we need to be,” Norton said. “When you look at the challenge of what needs to be done globally to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, we are so far behind. If we don’t have a livable planet, the rest of it doesn’t matter.”

EPA workers expressed gratitude in response to the event and acknowledged ways the city and state could focus more on environmental protection.

Alan Brown, an information specialist at the EPA, said he saw the pop-up rally as a chance to bond with his co-workers.

“Giving the EPA an opportunity to express themselves favorably is certainly a motivating tool for employees,” Brown said. “We don’t get a chance to do that unless you do it on your own time, so having that collective time with your peers and colleagues is pretty neat.”

Brown added that environmental preservation is of the utmost importance in urban areas like Boston, and the city could be doing more to make itself environmentally friendly.

“The city infrastructure has to modernize itself and also preserve the historical artifacts important to the culture,” Brown said. “Natural preservation is important for wildlife, keeping the air quality improved and making sure stormwater runoff goes by way of natural habitat.”

Dave Deegan, a public affairs agent at the EPA, said he felt grateful to be acknowledged.

“I appreciate that vote of support from our fellow citizens.” Deegan said. “I can tell you from my experience in 25 or so years working in the EPA that I cannot think of many examples where a group of individuals have rallied in support of the EPA and thanked our employees. I think it’s unique and it certainly makes me feel good knowing that people care about the work that we do.”

Deegan recommended many tactics for individuals to incorporate into their daily lives.

“There are always things an individual can do to avoid general pollution — or to minimize pollution that’s generated — and to save energy,” Deegan said. “We can all make an informed decision that can have a more beneficial impact on our natural world and the environment — the air we breathe and the water we drink.”

Several people showed their support for the EPA and its environmental goals at the rally.

Margaret Van Deusen, 61, of Brookline, deputy director of the Charles River Watershed Association, said the community understands the importance of supporting the EPA.

“For the EPA’s role in Massachusetts, they’re the permitting authority for clean water, and making sure that we have a strong EPA is going to be very important,” Van Deusen said. “Advocacy, showing up and showing that people care about clean air and clean water is also very important.”

Maura Snow, 57, of Chelmsford, said more people should do their part for the ecosystem, including attending events like the EPA appreciation rally.

“There is always one little thing you can do,” Snow said. “Being active in things like this rally, things that you care about, is very important. If you care about it, let somebody know. Don’t be afraid to get out on the street and talk.”

Torie Burmeister, 25, of Brighton, said protecting the environment is particularly important now, especially with the new presidential administration.

“[The EPA] is the only government agency we have out there protecting the environment and working on climate change,” Burmeister said. “The fact that the government is actually out to dismantle it right now is really terrifying.”