Field Hockey, Sports

Freshman Ailsa Connolly, newest BU field hockey star

Freshman Alisa Connolly currently leads the Terriers in goals with three.
PHOTO BY CHLOE GRINBERG/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

In need of a spark entering the 2017 season, it was expected that upperclassmen on the Boston University field hockey would provide a boost. However, freshman forward Ailsa Connolly has stolen the show as a prime scoring option, which the team so desperately needed after the departure of a decorated senior class.

“No matter how long or how short I’m out there for, I just have to give it my all,” Connolly said. “I try to kick the energy up, stay focused out there and I guess it’s worked.”

Just 51:55 into her Terrier career, Connolly netted her first of what is now a team-leading three goals. Her first career tally followed goals by fellow newcomers Petra Hall and Miya Denison in a season-opening victory over Bryant University.

“After the first day when only freshmen scored, we were pretty hyped by that,” Connolly said. “Definitely was a bit of weight off my shoulders, being a striker you’re expected to score.”

Hailing from Auckland, New Zealand, Connolly has helped to bring a new sort of swagger to New Balance Field. With a youthful BU roster including nine freshmen, it was imperative for the youngest Terriers to make a significant impact from day one.

Head coach Sally Starr said it was “really important” for her young players to mesh quickly, and she is pleased with the progress they have made but cautioned that it is still early in the season.

“They’ve done a really good job,” Starr said. “We definitely are going through some learning curves, we’re doing some good things but are a long way from where.”

Starr, who is in her 37th year as head coach of the Terriers, sees few similarities between her former star, recently graduated Amanda Cassera who earned three Patriot League post-season awards while at BU, and current star in regards to their play style, but she said they do share the same tenacity and grit.

“Amanda was very much finesse, a cleanup around the pads kind of goal scorer,” Starr said. Cassera possessed great skills with the stick, polished whereas Connolly maintains “an outstanding power shot.”

They also possessed the ability to find themselves in the right situations. For Connolly, who not only leads the team in scoring, but has done so by converting three of five shots into goals. For Cassera, that kind of efficiency became clear over her tenure. With Connolly, it happened from the start, Starr said.

“Two different types of players, but two who can definitely score some goals,” Starr said. “I would say for both of them, they find themselves in the right place at the right time.”

Terrier assistant coach and fellow New Zealand native Tracey Paul lead the recruiting charge toward Connolly, but with a twist. Connolly actually sent her own recruiting video to the Terrier coaching staff as the initial point of contact between her and the program.

From the clips, Starr and Paul saw what they liked. Paul took over to ease Connolly’s transition toward the college recruiting process

“I’m familiar with New Zealand, and her credentials were very, very good,” said Paul, who is in her 18th season at Boston University and does the international recruiting for the field hockey program. “I’m familiar with the level she was playing at, her school, the teams she was playing for and we went from there.”

Connolly and her mother flew to see schools stateside to help with the decision, starting with an unofficial visit to BU. Her roughly 48 hours on campus provided enough assurance to finalize her decision to come to BU instead of the University of Connecticut or American University, Connolly said. Even though BU was the first school she looked at, she and her family knew it was the right fit.

“The standard was set so high, the girls here are so cool and it seemed like a really great team to be a part of,” Connolly said.

Field hockey also is a sport that carries great importance in Conolly’s native home of New Zealand. The women’s national team is currently ranked eighth in the world in outdoor field hockey, and Connolly strived to succeed from a young age.

“I’ve been playing ever since I can remember,” said Connolly, who participated on the U18 Auckland team in 2016. “Just last year we won the national competition. It was a huge highlight and something I’m very proud of.”

Connolly said she enjoyed her field hockey experience in New Zealand growing up, but she now dedicates herself to playing for the Terriers.

“By coming here I sort of ruined my chances [to play on the national team] because they don’t look upon it favorably,” she said. “It’s alright, though,” Connolly added with confidence. “I love field hockey, and I have sort of used it to get to this amazing school and hopefully a degree out of it later.”