NEMINSKI: We must stand with Israel

The acts of terror in Israel Tuesday, in which five people — four of them rabbis and one a police officer — were murdered by two Palestinians in an attack on a West Jerusalem synagogue, have been the latest in the longstanding conflict between Israel and Palestine. In June, Israel invaded the Gaza Strip to protect its borders. This conflict, which lasted for several weeks, left approximately 2,000 dead, and with tensions now ramping up again, it is possible that the world could see a similar conflict.

The Tuesday attacks were those of the most brutal nature. Israel is the United States’ closest ally in the Middle East, and over the course of the U.S. President Barack Obama administration, many have questioned the United States’ support for Israel. In times of such strife, the Obama administration must announce that it unequivocally stands with Israel and will support whatever measures Israel feels necessary for its self-defense.

There is no doubt that the United States, as a world leader, should work with other nations to help prevent further conflict. But in a time of great chaos in the Middle East, Israel has always been our most supportive ally in the region. In this past summer’s conflict, the United States openly supported Israel, a support that cannot waver now.

Acts of terror like this cannot stand, and should not go unpunished, especially when those acts lead to the deaths of innocent worshipers. In addition, some have mentioned that the murderers were rouge agents, and Israel, as a whole, needs to continue to work with Palestinian citizens to make sure attacks like this do not happen in the future.

Yet that seems as though it may be a difficult task. After the attack, many Palestinians took to the street to celebrate, throw candy and hand out pastries. While these people do not speak for all Palestinians, it is hard not to notice that they were celebrating in quite large numbers. These acts were not some successful war-ending operations, but acts of terror that took the lives of those praying. Why would one celebrate these deaths, unless there was a hatred for those who died? How is Israel, on the other hand, supposed to negotiate with Palestine, when its people are celebrating the deaths of innocent people?

In his first term, Obama’s support for Israel was often doubted. In fact, during the 2012 campaign, his opponent, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, often criticized the president for never visiting Israel and voicing support for the state. Since being reelected, Obama has taken a stronger stance and has clearly expressed his support for Israel. This was evident in the conflict between Israel and Palestine this past summer.

Obama and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry have already condemned Tuesday’s attacks. While a condemnation is a strong start, the United States’ support for Israel must not waver in the aftermath. It is easy to condemn such horrid acts of violence, but is another thing to stand by Israel as they work to make their country safe for its citizens. Please, let us not forget that distinction.

Israel has been a faithful ally of the United States, and when Israel is attacked in such a brutal way, the United States must stand behind its friend. Israel has every right to defend itself. While the country’s situation is unique in comparison to many other nations, the fact still remains that Israel has every right to protect its borders.

Obama has recently improved our country’s standing with Israel, something that was often doubted during his first term in office. It is now more than ever that this support cannot vacillate. It is simply one thing for Obama and his administration to speak out against these violent acts, but his support must remain firm as Israel looks to secure its borders and seek out this source of the attack.

Seeing as three of Tuesday’s casualties in Israel also held U.S. citizenship, the United States should have no trouble being available to provide whatever assistance Israel needs. Israel has long been a strong ally for the United States, and in a time of crisis, the United States must make it clear that our support is consistent.

1. Another way of putting this…

“While Israelis laud their scientists, their artists, their doctors and multiple Nobel Prize nominees and recipients, Palestinians have a long and ignominious tradition of extolling the virtues of those who commit mass murder, slaughter innocents on buses and hijack commercial airliners. Public squares and streets are named after them and their children are taught to emulate them. The contrast between Israeli and Palestinian society could not be starker. One society celebrates and encourages progress and life while the other has morphed itself into a death cult, steeped in perverted traits that are an anathema to Western civilization.”