Softball, Sports

Softball starts season in sunny Arizona with Littlewood Classic

6Softball_SarahFisher
Junior pitcher Lauren Hynes tossed 13 complete games in 2014 and finished the year with a 3.54 ERA. PHOTO BY SARAH FISHER/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University softball team will be escaping the snow for the dry heat of Arizona as it will be heading west this weekend to participate in the Littlewood Classic and begin the 2015 season.

BU is coming off a solid 2014 campaign in which it complied a 36-21 record and a Patriot League Tournament title. Ultimately, the Terriers saw their season end when they were defeated by Louisiana State University in the regional round of the NCAA Tournament.

Throughout the 2014 season, BU’s seniors carried the load. Outfielder Jayme Mask led the team in hits, batting average and stolen bases, shortstop Brittany Clendenny led the squad in both home runs and RBI, catcher Amy Ekart started every game behind the plate while hitting four home runs on the year and infielder Chelsea Kehr was a rock, starting 55 of the Terriers’ 57 games.

While the Terriers have lost those four players, 12 Terriers from 2014 will be returning to the field, along with eight freshmen.

BU coach Kathryn Gleason said that although the seniors of 2014 will be missed, this year’s Terriers have to move on.

“I think what they did was they left a great legacy,” she said. “And we always talk about leadership. We will miss them, because their bats and their leadership, and their presence on the field and what they did for us but I think the upperclassmen and even the sophomores who’ve had experience have really taken over and done a great job of leading this team.”

In the circle for the Terriers however, BU has all of its 2014 pitching staff returning. Junior pitcher Lauren Hynes led the Terriers in 2014, tossing 13 complete games and, at one point, going 61 straight innings in the circle for the Terriers while junior pitcher Melanie Russell and sophomore pitcher Makinna Akers were out with injury. Hynes finished the year 14-13 with a 3.54 ERA. Russell had a solid season as well. Despite the injury stint, she finished 2014 13-5 with a 2.11 ERA. Provided they stay healthy, if this pitching staff can continue on what they did last season, Gleason said the Terriers’ pitching staff will be in for a good 2015.

“This staff can do great things,” Gleason said. “It’s great that they’re all back and we added [freshman pitcher] Sydni Overly to the mix… Lauren’s had a great offseason… Melanie’s ready to come back and McKinna’s ready to step up and contribute to this staff. That’s the key, is that it’s a staff.”

Their first tests will not be easy though. After rolling into Tempe, the team will face off against No. 4 University of Oklahoma and No. 15 University of Washington in a Friday doubleheader.

The Sooners (5-0) are two seasons removed from an NCAA championship and are coming off a 51-13 season. Their 2015 team features 14 returning members, including infielder Shelby Pendley, who led the team in both average at .430 and home runs with 19. Also returning is pitcher Kelsey Stevens, who went 38-9 with a 2.44 ERA in 275 innings in the circle last season.

Washington (4-1) is coming off a 37-15 season in 2014 and is currently riding a three-game win streak, during which the team is batting nearly .400.

Saturday features another doubleheader, with the Terriers taking on the University of North Texas and the host team, No. 21 Arizona State University in consecutive games.

The Mean Green (2-3) are first on the docket. After 2014 saw them go 31-22, the team has been off to a rocky start so far in 2015. They’re currently on a two-game skid, during which they’ve been outscored by an average of nine runs, and the reason has been the pitching. Opponents are hitting .331 against the Mean Green, and in just five games, the team has amassed a 7.44 team ERA.

Arizona State (4-3) will prove to be the tougher test of the day. Despite having dropped their last two, the Sun Devils are still playing good softball. They’ve outscored opponents 42-31 and are averaging six runs a game. That is in huge part to catcher Amber Freeman, who’s batting .522 through seven games.

Rounding out the weekend is Illinois State in a Sunday afternoon game. The Red Birds (2-3) have also been struggling to open up the 2015 season.

In its last two games, both losses, Illinois State was only able to plate one run. The team is currently batting a measly .206, but the one bright spot for the club is catcher Jordan de los Reyes, who is hitting .429 this season with two home runs already.

Despite the tough challenges of this upcoming weekend, Gleason said is excited.

“We’re ready for the challenge,” Gleason said. “We’re not going to be the same team on Feb. 13 that we are on May 9, so [it’s about] where we start and where we finish.”