Boston Marathon security tightened again, drones banned

The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency announced Monday that security measures for the 2015 Boston Marathon will be stricter than before, including the banning of bags and drones to ensure public safety. PHOTO BY COLIN BELL/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

In anticipation of a large number of spectators, participants and volunteers in the 2015 Boston Marathon have come together with public safety officials to update security plans for Monday’s race.

“While this year’s Boston Marathon is expected to draw great interest from the community, leading to significant number of fans and spectators, those interested in attending the race are also being asked for their cooperation in following reasonable and common sense guidelines that will help ensure the safety and security of all participants, volunteers and spectators,” a Monday press release from the Boston Athletic Association stated.

Following the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings on April 15, 2013, which injured more than 250 people and killed three, the BAA banned bags for runners and restricted bag size for spectators, The Daily Free Press reported on March 2, 2014. The BAA also cracked down on unregistered “bandit runners,” the FreeP reported on April 17, 2014.

David Procopio, spokesman for the Massachusetts State Police, said law enforcement will have a presence to ensure safety at the marathon.

“The security plan is multi-layered and is comprised of components that the public will see and [components] that the public will not see,” he said. “Obviously there will be numerous state troopers and local police officers in uniform and there will also be many tactical units such as canines, bomb squads and several of our helicopters.”

For the first time, this year’s marathon will be a “No Drone Zone,” which prohibits the public from operating any type of drone anywhere within the vicinity and sight of the course, the release stated. Items such as weapons, bags and costumes are also prohibited.

“This year we have established and enacted a prohibition on drones anywhere over the race route,” Procopio said. “Many people are using them for recreational purposes or photography … but there’s also a possibility that a drone could be used to disrupt the racers or some other harmful purpose.”

Scott Paré, deputy director of public safety for the Boston University Police Department, said the rules on BU’s campus are consistent with last year’s security measures, and there will still be a heightened police presence on and around campus.

“There’s going to be a number of additional officers. Not just Boston University officers, but Brookline [Police Department] officers, Boston [Police Department] officers, state police officers, [and Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority] officers,” he said. “You will see us in uniform, but there’s going to be a number [of officers] in plain clothes, watching the activity.”

While large bags are not prohibited on campus, Paré said bags will still be subject to examination by police.

“Leave your backpacks at home. We’re asking along with Boston Police and state police to just leave them at home,” he said. “Even large handbags, they will all be subject to search. Don’t leave any bags unattended anywhere.”

Paré said although the marathon is an exciting time, safety will continue to be BUPD’s main concern.

“It’s a celebration. It’s not meant to be prohibitive. We want [students] to come out, we want them to enjoy the marathon,” he said. “It’s huge to Boston University because we are located right on the parade route. We want everybody to have a great time, but we also want everybody to be responsible and stay safe.”

Several Boston residents said they have noticed increased marathon security measures and appreciate what is being done to address safety.

Andre Curiel, 24, of Back Bay, was at the marathon in 2013 at the time of bombings. He said since then, he has noticed the heightened police presence in the streets during the race.

“I remember that the security didn’t used to be nearly as significant as it is now,” he said. “They didn’t used to be lining the streets like they do now.”

Felipe Medina, 23, of Kenmore, is from Colombia, a country that he said regularly takes security precautions like the BAA’s for large-scale occasions. Medina said that although it can be intrusive, public security is something he’s used to.

“It’s an inconvenience, but I’m okay with it. I come from a country where this happens all the time,” he said. “We have tightened security measure in every public event. I’m okay with it. I’ve been raised with it.”

Courtney Camps, 28, of the North End, said the precautions give participants and spectators a sense of security they need since the 2013 bombings.

“Given what’s happened, we should be more vigilant of anything that happens,” she said. “It is kind of crazy to crack down so aggressively, but at the same it is necessary. It gives a sense of security for residents and visitors alike so they have a better time that day.”

Hannah Libby contributed to the reporting of this article.

Editor-in-Chief. Bostonian by way of Indiana. Excessive Instagrammer. Seltzer addict. Journalism junkie, storytelling fiend.