Soccer, Sports

Double OT ends with 0-0 draw for women’s soccer

Senior Libby Closson clocked 85 minutes in Sunday’s double overtime game against Dartmouth. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/ DFP FILE PHOTO

Despite strong offensive pressure throughout the game, the Boston University women’s soccer team remained tied with Dartmouth College Sunday afternoon through double overtime. Neither school produced a goal.

The Big Green drew overtime in  its last three games, none of which ended in wins for the team.

In the Terriers’ (1-6-1) game Thursday against Boston College, they were held without a shot through the first period.

BU assistant coach Molly Poletto said the team focused on being more aggressive.

“We saw the uptick of winning the ‘air game’ and that certainly led to many chances,” Poletto said. “A lot of it was just making sure we were remaining consistent.”

Sunday afternoon proved to be a much more offensive affair with senior defender Chelsea Churchill catching a second opportunity off of a corner kick from sophomore forward Anna Heilferty within the seventh minute of the game.

Churchill powered on to make three of the four shots BU got off during the opening half.

The defender made a shot on the net, only for the ball to land safely within Dartmouth goalkeeper Mariel Gordon’s grasp.

After starting in only one game as junior, Churchill has started in all eight games so far in the season and put up an assist during the game against the University of Connecticut.

“Chelsea has been extremely aggressive in the attacking half and has been able to find multiple opportunities on the ball,” Poletto said. “She came in fit, and that is certainly aiding her in being able to compete at a high level.”

Dartmouth didn’t fall far behind in shots with three.

The Big Green created a strong play off the corner when a send-in from midfielder Hayley Soriano got headed toward the Terrier net by defender Bonnie Shea, requiring sophomore goalkeeper Amanda Fay to leap into action.

Despite offensive pushes from both sides of the field, the score remained 0-0 going into halftime.

Within six minutes of returning to the pitch, junior forward Rachel Kingston made her second shot of the game, only to be batted away by Gordon.

The Dartmouth goalkeeper remained solid as BU more than doubled its shot production from the first half.

Seven players generated 10 shots, with half of them going on-goal.

“We talked a lot about being more aggressive, especially on 50-50 balls,” Poletto said. “We really locked them down by winning that first ball and being able to either connect a pass or find a penetrating opportunity.”

Heilferty generated several opportunities, including two shots and another corner 66 minutes into the game that allowed senior defender Royce Light and senior midfielder Dorrie Varley-Barrett to both make attempts on goal.

Still, none found the back of the net, and the game was forced into overtime.

In the 10-minute extra period, Big Green midfielder Zoe Boocock got off the only shot on goal, which was denied by Fay.

Churchill finished out the game with 13 seconds on the clock, but the score remained a locked 0-0.

Gordon ended the game with six saves.

“The game plan was just to continue to do the things we do well and to continue to compete,” Poletto said. “We really spoke about being able to keep the ball in the attacking area.”

Comments are closed.