Campus Life, Lifestyle

Take me to Paris

Imagine waking up in a cute apartment in the city of Paris. You get dressed in your simple yet chic outfit for the day and walk through the cobblestone streets. You stop at your favorite boulangerie and order a coffee and croissant.

The croissant is like nothing you have ever tried before, and after your first bite, you know you’re in trouble. And so, the croissant obsession begins.

If you’re going to have an obsession, I think croissants are a pretty great one to have.

tatte cafe in brookline
Tatte in Brookline. Tatte’s croissants can make you feel like you are in Paris, even if you cannot travel to France. CAROLYN MOONEY/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

This is the way it began for me: A couple of years ago, my mom and I flew to Paris for one month in the summer. I spent my summer working and exploring everything the city has to offer.

I immersed myself in the culture, tried new food and attempted — keyword, attempted —  to learn the language. I walked through gardens and visited art museums, in a constant state of wonder and awe.

I am a little obsessed with the city itself, and with each visit, my love grows for this beautiful food called a croissant.

I searched and searched for a croissant in the United States that was as flaky as the ones I tasted in Paris, but I had no such luck until last semester in Boston. I stumbled across Tatte and ordered their croissant sandwich.

It was the closest croissant I’ve tried to the Parisian croissants. It had a similar flaky nature, and I was transported to Paris as I bit into it.

I was sitting outside the cafe, people-watching as strangers walked around. I felt happiness and nostalgia for my time in Paris, but even closer now that I had such a wonderful pastry with me.

It’s funny how I associate songs with events and periods in my life because I do the same thing with certain foods.

When I eat a food that was prominent at a certain point in my life and I try it after a long time, it takes me back to that memory and place.

So, back to Tatte. I highly recommend the chocolate croissant, the plain croissant and the croissant breakfast sandwich. Obviously, everything on the menu is great, but I am here today to talk about croissants.

The next time you want to take an imaginary trip to Paris, buy a croissant at Tatte. You may not be able to actually go to France, but the croissant will give you a taste of the beautiful city.

1. Beautiful article. Paris is wonderful!

2. I loved your article, and made me nostalgic about Paris.
    Mon croissant! Mon croissant!
    I love you con todo mi corazón!

3. Can’t wait to try a croissant from Tatte in our next trip to the amazing city of Boston.
    Love the story!

4. I want to go to Paris and eat croissants!