ResLife Union reaches tentative agreement with BU following end of strike

The Boston University ResLife Union reached a tentative agreement for its first union contract with the University at its bargaining session on Tuesday.

The proposal will be presented to the ResLife Union for ratification on Sept. 26 and 27.

Resident Assistant Melissa Taylor gives a speech during the Graduate Workers Union walkout on Sept. 3. Boston University and the ResLife Union reached a tentative agreement during the bargaining session on Tuesday. KATE KOTLYAR/DFP PHOTOGRAPHER

James Roberts, a senior and resident assistant in South Campus, said he was optimistic BU would build on the momentum of previous sessions and compromises.

BU Spokesperson Colin Riley said the University is “pleased” to have come to an agreement with the union after it “took some time” to negotiate.

The new contract includes a $1,700 semesterly stipend for all RAs which begins this semester, access to meal plans for RAs in both dormitory and apartment-style residences, an academic violation grace period, advance notice for training schedules and additional job protections, according to a press release from Service Employees International Union Local 509.

Previously, only RAs in dormitory-style residents were compensated with meal plans, and those in apartment-style residences received a stipend of $15 per week for food.

“I can go to the dining hall and get food during midterms, and I will have the ability to buy groceries when I need to buy groceries,” Roberts said. “It really makes it more manageable to deal with the intense side of RA duties.”

The contract also includes a policy that allows RAs a one-semester grace period to recover their grades after they are notified of a GPA or GPI policy violation, according to the SEIU Local 509 press release.

End of the strike

The ResLife Union strike began on Aug. 31, while students living on-campus were moving in. 

The strike ended Sept. 6 as a result of the University “suspending free room and meals for ResLife workers on strike,” according to a post on the BU Reslife Union Instagram account.

BU Dean of Students Jason Campbell-Foster wrote in an email to The Daily Free Press that the University was looking “forward to bringing this to a resolution that works for both the University and the bargaining unit.” 

Campbell-Foster declined to comment further.

“The majority of RAs initially take this position because we don’t have the means to pay for housing,” said Liv Tambascio, a graduate resident assistant in South Campus. “Many of the RAs are on need-based scholarships, and we can’t afford the housing charges. BU knows that.” 

Tambascio said the striking members of the ResLife union took a vote before ending the strike. The choice to end the strike was done to “protect ourselves” and “respect the wants of the majority,” she said.

Students react to RAs on strike

Jackson Shahinfar, a freshman living in Warren Towers, said his RA went on strike for a few days during move-in weekend.

“[My RA] basically told us that he couldn’t help us as an RA,” Shahinfar said. “But he would still be around if anybody needed help or an experienced person.” 

Brooke Baisley, a freshman living in Rich Hall, said she “wasn’t greatly affected” by the RA strike. 

“I’ve heard them chanting outside,” Baisley said. “Besides that … I feel like there’s not that much information [being shared] behind what they’re fighting for.”

Naya Habr, a junior living at 33 Harry Agganis Way, said that there was not much of a difference in her living experience, besides not having an initial floor meeting with her RA, who was on strike. 

Senior Sonya Rahbar Hakimi lives off-campus but said that, due to the recent increase in student tuition at BU, she would “understand and feel for those RAs if they’ve been under-compensated.”

Christine Hill, a graduate student, said the strike was about much more than just compensation. 

“Talking about just the salary can be a way to muddle the issue, because so many of the things they’re asking for don’t actually even have to do with the salary,” Hill said. 

What comes next

In the coming weeks, the union will finalize a legalized version of the contract. It will also communicate to its membership the “effective nature” of every article to inform workers and ensure they all “know what they are voting for,” Roberts said.

“Once ratified, the BU ResLife workers will set the standard for wages and working conditions in one of the most concentrated centers of higher education in the country,” according to the SEIU Local 509 press release.

Having been part of the ResLife Union for the past two years, Roberts said  he is “excited to see the fruits of our labor pay off.”

“I want to make sure that we continue to lay the groundwork for a strong union that can fight for and protect RAs as we continue to serve as essential workers for this University,” Roberts said.