20 Questions: Women’s basketball’s Hope talks home, T. Anthony’s and Eminem

Senior guard Sarah Hope leads the team in points through the season’s first two games. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s basketball team has dropped its first two contests of the 2016-17 campaign on the road, but senior guard Sarah Hope has been a bright spot for the team in the early going.

The Medway native is the leading scorer for the Terriers thus far, averaging 13 points per game to go along with 3.5 assists. She is one of three captains on the Terrier roster this season along with senior forward Meghan Green and junior guard Corrine Williams.

We took some time to catch up with 3-point-scoring threat after practice to touch on everything from her rap preferences to whom on the men’s team she could beat 1 on 1.

1. When did you start playing basketball?

“I started playing basketball in fifth grade, but I didn’t get seriously into it until seventh grade.”

1. Did you play any other sports growing up?

“I feel like every sport a parent signs their kid up for I played. The generic soccer, obviously I played basketball. I actually did cheering and gymnastics which was interesting, but basically everything.”

1. Why did you choose BU?

“When I came on campus and I met the coaching staff … and obviously BU is a prestigious school academically, so it was a mixture of academics, the basketball team and the overall community here – and it’s also close to home so that was really big.”

1. What is your major?

“I’m in the College of Communication studying Public Relations.”

1. Where is the best away atmosphere you played in?

“Probably [the Univeristy of Connecticut] my freshman year. I don’t have to say much about why, but their gym was absolutely amazing.

1. Who is the toughest team you’ve ever faced?

“UConn again. Unfortunately, we came out with an L, but it was still really fun to play such a great team like them.”

1. Who would you say you model your game after?

“I’ll say Steph Curry. He’s a really good shooter so I just try to model my shots after him.”

1. What part of your game did you develop most in college?

“Probably just my basketball IQ in general. Coming from high school it’s a really big adjustment to college basketball.”

1. What part of your game was most college ready when you came in as a freshman?

“I would say my shooting. I have a pretty quick release so I thought that was ready for the college level.”

1. Did you think you’d make the top player on SportsCenter after your buzzer beater against the United States Naval Academy last year?

“No, not at all. I was so surprised when that happened and still to this day I’m very surprised that made it on there. I’m really grateful that my teammates were able to put me in that position and my coaches that put me in that position.”

1. What’re your favorite professional sports teams?

“Since I’m from Massachusetts, by default the Patriots and Red Sox. Actually in the NBA, I have to go with my boy Steph Curry and the Warriors, but I’m not a bandwagon fan. Everyone thinks that.”

1. Do you follow any other BU sports closely?

“I would say men’s basketball. Our team is pretty close with them, so they’re my really good friends. I mean obviously I follow all of them, but closely I would say men’s basketball.”

1. Which player on the men’s team do you think you could beat 1-on-1?

“I’ll say [junior guard] Cedric Hankerson. He’s a lot bigger than me, but I think I could get him off the dribble and get some shots over him.”

1. What’s on your pre-game music playlist?

“Eminem, DMX. You know, the normal rap to get going.”

1. What is your favorite thing to do with your teammates outside of basketball?

“Honestly just chill and watch a movie. We have a really close team so they’re like my family.”

1. Favorite on campus place to eat?

“I’ve got to go to T. Anthony’s, that’s my go-to.”

1. If you could change one thing about Boston, what would it be?

“I can’t change anything. I mean it’s my home. Seriously, I wouldn’t change anything.”

1. What are your goals for this season as a team and for yourself?

“As a team, we’re just getting better from the past two years. We’re taking our experience from the last two seasons and just moving forward.”

1. What’re your post BU plans?

“I’d really like to coach women’s college basketball after I graduate.”

1. Are you going to graduate school?

“Yeah, [graduate assistantship] is my first thing, but assistant volunteer coaching or something like that as well.”