Business & Tech, Features

Student governments host first annual leadership seminar

Student leaders work in groups at a leadership summit hosted by several of BU colleges’ student governments Saturday afternoon at the Yawkey Center for Student Services. VIGUNTHAAN THARMARAJAH/ DFP STAFF

In a workforce of ever-increasing competitiveness, the importance of leadership skills has been stressed at universities around the country. Student body leaders at Boston University taught these skills to their fellow students at a leadership seminar this past Saturday.

The College of Arts and Sciences, College of Engineering and College of Communication student governments hosted their first annual Leadership Seminar. They gathered on the sixth floor of the Yawkey Center for Student Services to discuss methods of leadership, how to handle responsibilities and how to create change at a large university.

The idea for the seminar began to form when members of CAS Student Government realized all three groups had one goal in common: to teach students what is is important to know about leadership before stepping into leadership positions, according to CAS SG President Alhassan Hashad.

“We wanted to create a seminar where students are able to come in and hear what other student leaders have to say,” Hashad said.

Gayathri Angou, the executive president of the College of Engineering’s Student Government, said the presenters from the student governments also introduced different ways to get involved in leadership roles at BU.

The presenters gave details about student leadership roles in places such as the Student Activities Office, she said, as well as the general skills required for such roles.

Attendees were able to interact with current leaders and analyze real-life problems, Hashad said. The seminar covered topics including marketing, event planning, public relations and open-mindedness in the workplace.

Jenna Saiontz, a junior in ENG, said one of the activities at the seminar she found especially helpful was called “true colors.” At the seminar, attendees filled out a questionnaire about their personality traits before being placed on a team based on their answers.

“The ‘true colors’ personality test helps leaders identify their strong traits and discusses how to hone in on them,” Angou said. “Learning about one’s own leadership style is a versatile skill.”

Saiontz, who said she plans to run for SG Senate next year, said she would use the skills she learned from the seminar to help create change at BU. She said one of her main takeaways was that leadership doesn’t require extroversion or competitiveness, but rather requires knowledge of issues, people and oneself.

“It was so interesting to speak with Student Government leaders who think similarly to how I do,” Saiontz said.

According to Hashad, attendees also participated in a discussion about the university’s responsibility to pay for sustainable buildings and technology. He said this discussion demonstrated some dilemmas leaders face as well as their applicability in everyday life, especially during college.

“It is about taking action and responsibility during our transition into college and then into our careers,” Hashad said.

Hashad said the COM, ENG and CAS student governments plan to make this seminar an annual event and hope to see the number of attendees grow in the years to come.

Angou said she and other student government leaders were happy with the seminar’s debut. She went on to say they learned from this year and are looking at new ways to teach even more skills and information next year.

“Any student interested in getting a leadership position on campus,” Hashad said, “or is just interested in getting more involved in BU, is highly encouraged to attend.”