Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: Save the support

I am writing this letter to request that the members of the BU sports marketing department give an apology to two groups of very talented Boston University students: the Boston University Dance Team and the Terrier cheerleaders.’ At this evening’s Women’s basketball game at the Roof versus Harvard, the cheerleaders only gave one two-minute performance on the court, and the Dance Team did not perform at all.

Given the recent equipment failures that have repeatedly delayed the performances of these groups, I would expect to see a better effort on behalf of the department in including the Dance Team and cheerleaders at sporting events during timeouts and intermissions.’ I am very glad to see that the university supports organizations such as the Special Olympics and United Way by including them during the intermission breaks, but I urge Athletics to make student groups a priority as well.

I worry for the future existence of these two vital student organizations if this continues.’ The band, dance team and cheerleaders could very well have issues in recruitment as well as getting members to attend athletic events if the Athletic Department keeps this up.’ I understand that the elimination of media timeouts at Women’s Basketball Games makes it more of a challenge to create a balance between the required announcements, advertisements and showcases of the different student groups, but believe that it is the responsibility of the university to see that there is a balance because right now there is not.

Despite their lack of an opportunity to perform, I must say that both the Dance Team and the cheerleaders did an exceptional job exemplifying Terrier pride, and encourage all members of the university community to come to a basketball game to check them out. The Men’s Basketball team plays against Yale at home tomorrow at 7 p.m. at Case Gymnasium.

Go Terriers!

Grant MacElhiney

President

Boston University Band Council

1. I totally agree with the sentiments voiced in this Opinion piece. I have been to many Men’s & Women’s sporting events and have found the performances by the Dance Team and the cheerleaders to be some of the highlights of these events. They always generate a lot of school spirit, and help create an upbeat, energized atmosphere!!<br/>They have hours of practice, and make many sacrifices to attend these events during evenings and weekends, and therefore there should be a concerted effort to incorporate them as much as possible into the programming!!!<br/>Go Terriers and don’t neglect your best supporters!!