The Next Edition: Boston Student Journalism Conference

Schedule • Panelists • Sponsorship Information • About • FAQ

Ticket information

BU students: $12

General admission/non-BU students: $23

Tickets can be bought via Eventbrite at this link.

———

Schedule

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Boston University Photonics Center

8 Saint Mary’s St., Boston, MA 02215

Use Saint Mary’s St. entrance

TIME

EVENT

10-10:30 a.m. Check-in
10:30-11 a.m. Morning Keynote Address
11 a.m.-12 p.m. Panel A: How to Stand out on Paper
Panel B: Crossing the Media Divide
12-1:15 p.m. Lunch
1:30-2:30 p.m. Afternoon Keynote Conversation
2:30-3:30 p.m. Panel C: Understanding Digital Engagement
Panel D: Breaking into the Magazine Business
Panel E: Mastering Beat Reporting
3:30-5 p.m. Networking Reception

———

Panelists and Speakers

Panelists will include reporters, writers and editors at The Boston Globe, Boston magazine, Fox 25 Boston, Boston.com, The Lowell Sun and more! Learn more about the currently announced panels and panelists by clicking on these graphics or links in the schedule above.

———

Sponsorship Information

We are pursuing sponsorship to alleviate the costs of this conference and give companies the opportunity to support the emerging group of professional journalists in Boston. Sponsors will have exposure to a targeted group of clientele for the length of the conference. We have various levels of sponsorship available; click here for more information.

Current sponsors for The Next Edition include:

———

About

THE DAILY FREE PRESS PRESENTS THE NEXT EDITION: BOSTON STUDENT JOURNALISM CONFERENCE

Announcing an event to connect students throughout Boston with industry professionals

BOSTON, MA (February 24, 2018) — The Daily Free Press is excited to announce The Next Edition: Boston Student Journalism conference, the first networking and speaker event made by and for journalism students in the Boston area. The Next Edition will connect college-level student journalists from all over the city with working industry professionals in order to form career-long bonds and inspire renewed dedication to our craft. With the field of journalism facing difficulties both politically and financially, it is more imperative than ever before for young journalists to be encouraged to pursue careers in the media and to be introduced to local employers.

“The New Edition networking conference is an opportunity for we as an organization to turn around and interact with our community,” said Samantha J. Gross, chairman of Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc.. “We are elated to finally meet our readers and provide them with the resources and networking opportunities to help launch successful careers in media.

The conference will include one keynote speaker, one keynote panel, lunch, a networking reception, and several speaker sessions throughout the afternoon. Students will have the opportunity to choose between two panels in during the first half of the conference and between three panels during the second half of the conference. The Daily Free Press has organized five unique sessions that will bring different, experienced professionals to Boston University’s Photonics Center. The Next Edition is meant to inspire current students with advice from journalism’s most notable figures and provide a space to foster connections.

About The Daily Free Press

Founded on May 5, 1970 by Boston University students, The Daily Free Press is the only independent student newspaper at BU. It is published digitally Mondays through Fridays and printed on Thursdays during the academic year except during vacation and exam periods by Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc. The FreeP serves as an independent voice for the BU community, covering news on campus and around the City of Boston.

About Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc.

Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc. is a nonprofit Massachusetts corporation operated by Boston University students. The BBPC’s Board of Directors is made up of former Daily Free Press editors and is responsible for the publishing and general business management of the paper, as well as the appointment and oversight of the editorial board.

Contact

Anna Whitelaw

Public Relations Chair

Back Bay Publishing Co.

[email protected]

———

Who We Are:

The Daily Free Press is Boston University’s only independent, student-run newspaper. The newspaper is published digitally every weekday and in print on Thursdays through the Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc., a nonprofit Massachusetts corporation operated by Boston University students. The Daily Free Press was founded on May 5, 1970. For more information, visit dailyfreepress.com.

Circulation: 5,000

UVM: 47,000

Intention:

As Boston University’s independent, student-run newspaper, we want to connect college-level student journalists from all over the city with working industry professionals in order to form career-long bonds and inspire renewed dedication to our craft. With the field of journalism facing difficulties both politically and financially, it is more imperative than ever before for young journalists to be encouraged to pursue careers in the media and to be introduced to local employers.

Target Groups & Demographic:

• Expected attendance of 120 people
  • Age range of 18-22
  • Anticipated audience from the following universities:
    • Boston University
    • Northeastern University
    • Tufts University
    • Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    • Harvard University
    • Boston College

The day is planned to be a business casual affair. It will be promoted to all journalism or communication students from universities in the Boston- metro area. The conference will feature one keynote speaker and one keynote panel, with multiple sessions to choose from throughout the day. Networking at the end of the conference will include tables for potential employers and opportunities for students to meet professional journalists and hiring managers.

———

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What should I bring to the conference?

Copies of your resume, an elevator pitch, business cards, notebook, cellphone and charger.

2. How do I get to the conference?

The Boston University Photonics Center is located at 8 St. Mary’s St, Boston, MA 02215. It is easily accessible from the BU Central stop on the Green B line.

3. What do I wear to the conference?

The official conference attire is business casual. Dress comfortably and prepare for the full day.

4. Who will I meet at the conference?

The conference will bring students, journalism professionals, and recruiters from various organizations together for a day of learning and conversation.

5. What is the networking reception?

The networking reception will occur during the last hour and a half of the conference. During this time, students will have the chance to converse with our speakers and company representatives.