Sports

BU honors student-athletes at annual awards banquet

The annual Student-Athlete Awards Reception honored the teams and athletes that have made 2008-09 one of the most successful years in the history of Boston University athletics last night at the School of Management.

Assistant Vice President and Athletics Director Mike Lynch kicked off the reception by congratulating all of the teams that won their conferences this year.

Decorated men’s ice hockey senior Matt Gilroy was named the Mickey Cochran Award recipient, given to the top male athlete of the year, regardless of class year. Gilroy added the Mickey Cochran Award to a collection that already includes the Walter Brown Award, given to the best American-born player in New England, and the Hobey Baker Award, given to the nation’s best hockey player. Gilroy is just the third BU player to earn All-America honors three times, and joins Chris Drury (’98) as the only other Hobey Baker winner at BU.

‘[Gilroy] is one of the brand names of BU college hockey,’ BU men’s hockey coach Jack Parker said. ‘He will be the measuring stick for an awful lot of defensemen that come through here after him.’

‘Me being up here tonight is a direct reflection of what we did as a team this year,’ Gilroy said. ‘I was fortunate enough to have won a lot of individual awards, but it’s all about what we did as a team.’

Women’s cross country and track and field senior Andrea Walkonen took home the Mildred Barnes Award for the top female athlete of the year. The two-time All-American hopes to compete for national honors this spring, depending on a foot injury. Walkonen won the America East Championship and the New England Championship for the second-straight year this past fall. BU hasn’t had a cross country All-American since 1997.

In indoor track, Walkonen set meet records at the America East Championship en route to winning the 3,000-meter run and the 5,000-meter run. She finished eighth at the NCAA Championship, where she set a new school record in the 5,000-meter run.

Women’s ice hockey senior Caroline Bourdeau and men’s ice hockey senior John McCarthy received the John B. Simpson Award, given to a male and female student-athlete who demonstrates ‘enthusiasm and leadership.’

Bourdeau played 135 games for the Scarlet and White, notching 15 goals and 20 assists. She won the team’s Spirit Award three-straight years, honoring the player who shows true BU spirit.

‘[Bourdeau] is a tireless worker who brings a team-first attitude and great conviction to our program,’ BU women’s ice hockey coach Brian Durocher said.

McCarthy co-captained the national champion men’s ice hockey team and racked up 29 points as a senior after getting only 16 points in his first three years combined.

‘[McCarthy] wasn’t the most highly recruited guy [out of St. John’s Prep] because he was a three-sport star,’ Parker said. ‘I truthfully knew when we recruited him ‘-‘- without question I knew from talking with him, from being around his parents ‘-‘- I knew that when he was a senior, he’d be captain of our team.

‘I’ve never had a better team than this year’s team,’ Parker added. ‘I believe this year’s team was so successful because of the senior class. The entire senior class all had their best years. They all played great. They all pushed their teammates. But this senior class was pushed to the hilt by their two captains, Matt Gilroy and John McCarthy.’

Men’s soccer senior Dan Schultz and women’s soccer senior Marisha Schumacher-Hodge took home the E. Ray Speare Award and the Gretchen Schuyler Award, respectively. Both awards go to the scholar-athlete who best combines academic achievement with athletic ability. Meanwhile, softball senior Christy Leath was named the 2009 BU Woman of the Year, lacrosse senior Sarah Dalton took home the Terrier Pride award and track and field senior David Barth won the Student-Athlete Service Award.