Derailed down the Green Line

Led by goals from freshman Victoria DiMartino and junior Chelsea Regan, No. 16 Boston College knocked off the Boston University women’s soccer team Wednesday night, 2-0, in Chestnut Hill. Sophomore goalkeeper Jillian Mastroianni recorded the shutout for the Eagles (2-0-0).

Bad bounces plagued the Terriers (2-1-0) throughout the contest. In the 20th minute, on what looked to be an innocent play, a poor clearance led to a golden opportunity for DiMartino, who put the ball into an open net. It was DiMartino’s second goal of the season and put the Eagles ahead, 1-0.

Boston College controlled the tempo in the first half and dominated the time of possession. The Terriers failed to record a shot in the first, but came out firing in the second as they tested Mastroianni with several quality shots. It looked as if the team was going to get on the board, but it never managed to put one in the netting.

After scoring chances by sophomore Jessica Luscinski and senior Laura Schwartz, the Terriers seemed to have an offensive rhythm going. In the 50th minute, Casey Brown had an opportunity to knot the game at 1-1 but hit the post in her bid for her first goal of the season. The team continued to press and kept BC on its heels, but Mastroianni, who raised her career shutout total to 12, played steady in goal and kept the Terriers off the board.

‘Although we found our game in the second half and we started to get a feel for the game, we have to convert on our chances against teams like that,’ BU coach Nancy Feldman said. ‘In those types of games, you have to create your own luck and create to score. [BC] created a lot of corners and that helped lead to one of their goals.’

The pace of the game slowed from there as the Eagles and Terriers traded off few opportunities for a good part of the second half. Finally, it was Chelsea Regan who put the Eagles up 2-0 with her second goal of the season with 10:25 to go in the second stanza. Regan’s goal all but sealed the deal for the Eagles.

In the end, BC’s size and speed proved to be too much for the Terriers, who were playing the first of six-consecutive road contests. BU was outshot 13-7 and had only three corner kicks to the Eagles nine. BC’s players showcased why they are ranked No. 16 in the nation, led by their sophomore goaltender and their powerful offense.

‘It’s a completely different level than [the University of Rhode Island] or [the University of Massachusetts-Amherst] because Boston College is a top-20 team playing in the powerful ACC,’ Feldman said. ‘They are a legit NCAA contender who play very physical and are very athletic. On the other hand, I thought we competed and defended really well. We have a good team this year and I thought we played well tonight despite the loss.’

The Eagles improved their all-time record against the Terriers to 10-4 and have won their last four games between the two clubs, dating back to the 2006 season. The Terriers look to bounce back on Friday when they travel down to Baltimore to face Loyola College.