Field Hockey, Sports

Terriers looking for fifth AE title in six years

The No. 15 Boston University field hockey team is only six games into its 16-game schedule, but it's already off to what could be its best season in team history.

After defeating No. 7 Boston College 2-0 on Friday, the Terriers reached 5-0 for the first time in their existence. If they can find a way to move past Sunday's upsetting 1-0 loss to Northeastern University, they could very well continue on their trajectory up the national polls with wins to be had over big-time teams like No.4 University of Connecticut, No. 10 Duke University and No. 17 Old Dominion University.

Even before its success this season, BU was already picked to win the America East conference in the preseason coaches' poll after winning the conference title in 2009. Another AE trophy following the conference tournament this season would be the squad's fifth in six years, and right now, it is that tournament and the larger tournament beyond that BU coach Sally Starr has circled on her calendar.

"I think we can continue to just get better and better each week, each game, really be ready for our conference tournament and compete successfully in it," Starr said. "I think that we really have the ability to be a team that can go deep in the NCAA tournament if we can just really keep our focus and our work ethic and stay healthy."

<strong>Goalkeeping</strong>

The Terriers, like their women's soccer counterparts, have utilized a two-goalie system with senior captain Amanda Smith receiving each start and sophomore Julie Collins replacing her in the second half of each contest.

Together, the tandem has combined for two shutouts in the six games. Smith received a full-game shutout in the BC win as Starr allowed her to play the full 70 minutes in her last game at BU against the team's rival.

However, it has been the sophomore who has emerged statistically as the leader thus far. Playing in the second half when the Terriers have tended to allow more shots on goal, Collins has four more saves than her older teammate (10 saves to six) and has allowed just one goal on the year compared to Smith's one.

Nonetheless, Starr couldn't be more appreciative of her team's situation in net.

"What I love right now is that we have two goalies who are working really hard and supporting each other but also pushing each other," Starr said. "As long as that continues we'll continue splitting time with them. It's a game-to-game evaluation, really a week-to-week practice evaluation. . . We're fortunate right now that we have two very good goalies who are really working hard competing hard and supporting each other. It's a very healthy situation for us."

<strong>Defense</strong>

The goalkeepers wouldn't be playing as impressively as they have been this season, though, without the help of a very strong backfield led by 2009 AE Rookie of the Year and conference first-team honoree Jacinda McLeod.

Her offensive stats (one goal, one assist, four of 14 shots have been on goal) haven't been quite up to par in comparison to those from a year ago. But the defensive squad's performance as a unit, which also includes junior Kate Murphy, sophomore Kiley Allosso, sophomore Rachael White and the defensive-minded junior midfielder Giovanna Monaco, say more than enough about the strength of the Terrier defense.

"I think our back four, be it Jacinda, Kate, Kiley and Rachael, or Jacinda, Kate, Kiley and Giovanna, are a strength for our team," Starr said. "I think they have a lot of ability. They are excellent defenders and they're also very good ball distributors. I think it is an area of play that is very good for us and can even get better."

Senior captain Maryette Stuart also serves as an anchor to the backfield that leads AE in goals-against average at 0.5.

<strong>Attack</strong>

As good as the Terriers' backline has been thus far, the group that has gained the most recognition for its accomplishments has been at the attacking spots. Senior captain Allie Dolce and junior forward Andrea Greene, who came to BU after playing for her hometown Universidad de Santiago de Chile, have each captured AE Player of the Week honors in the early going.

In fact, the two rank first and second on the team in points with Greene leading with 14 points and Dolce close behind with nine. Greene's six goals are actually twice as many as anyone else's on the team, while Dolce's three assists set the mark in that category.

However, that does not mean that this portion of the roster gets by without criticism from the coach, especially after Sunday's shutout at the hands of the Huskies.

"The strikers, I think, need to just take more advantage of our scoring opportunities by making better decisions, when to pass, when to shoot or when to draw a corner," Starr said. "I think the strength of our strikers right now is our defensive aspect, our pressing and their ability to create turnovers in our attacking end."</p>