Proposed ban in Boston would outlaw smoking in parks, beaches

Smokers in Boston may find themselves with fewer places to light up as two city council members are proposing a ban on smoking in public parks and beaches.

Councilors Felix Arroyo and Salvatore LaMattina have ordered a public hearing to discuss the ban, with a decision to be made within the next few weeks.

“What I would like to accomplish is a cleaner city where people can stroll the parks and enjoy our beaches in a smoke free environment,” LaMattina said in a press release.

The move follows a similar ban passed by the New York City council this month, which prohibits smoking in more than 1,700 public parks and boulevards, including Times Square.

More than a dozen Massachusetts towns, including Cambridge, already have similar bans in place, according to the American Nonsmokers’ Rights Foundation.

“We want these public places to be smoke-free so that everyone can enjoy our parks, can enjoy our beaches, can enjoy our public spaces without injury to their health,” Arroyo said to the Boston Globe. “We don’t want to expose our young children at the tot lot. We don’t want to expose families at the beach to smoke.”

Boston University has, over the past few years, continued to limit the places where smoking is permitted. Those wishing to light a cigarette must do so in designated smoking zones. Smoking is strictly prohibited in any building or on-campus residence.

Some BU students believe that the proposed bill, which would further limit options for smokers, is a good idea.

“I work at a park, and I absolutely agree that smoking should be banned there,” said Heather Russo, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences. “Patrons always argue with us for letting people smoke around children, and all we can tell the smokers that we’d prefer they not smoke. There’s nothing we can do to stop them.”

“I think it’s completely fair,” said Fiona Donovan, a sophomore in CAS. “Second hand smoke is almost as harmful as actual smoking, so for the good of the general public banning smoking in public places is a good thing.”

However, some students disagree with the policy.

“As a nonsmoker I would appreciate the councilmen’s’ efforts, but I do feel that it would infringe on smokers’ rights,” said Alex Valdovinos, a sophomore in CAS.

Other students believe that it would restrict personal freedoms.

“I could understand if it’s a small, private place, like a restaurant, but parks and beaches are public and ‘en plein air,’” said Desiree Okoh, a sophomore in the College of Engineering. “Smoking cigarettes in public places is a freedom we take for granted. If someone doesn’t want to be around smokers or smell cigarette smoke, that person can use his or her freedom to move.”

However, many agree that the law will do little to dissuade the habits of smokers.

“I think it’s just kind of silly,” said Bryan Smith, a sophomore in the School of Management. “This kind of law is impossible to enforce. The people who want to smoke will keep smoking wherever they wish.”

1. The anti-smokers commit flagrant scientific fraud by ignoring more than 50 studies which show that human papillomaviruses cause at least 1/4 of non-small cell lung cancers. Smokers and passive smokers are more likely to have been exposed to this virus for socioeconomic reasons. And the anti-smokers’ studies are all based on lifestyle questionnaires, so they’re cynically DESIGNED to blame tobacco for all those extra lung cancers that are really caused by HPV. And they commit the same type of fraud with every disease they blame on tobacco.

http://www.smokershistory.com/hpvlungc.htm
    http://www.smokershistory.com/SGHDlies.html

And, all their so-called “independent” reports were ring-led by the same guy, Jonathan M. Samet, including the Surgeon General Reports, the EPA report, the IARC report, and the ASHRAE report, and he’s now the chairman of the FDA Committee on Tobacco. He and his politically privileged clique exclude all the REAL scientists from their echo chamber. That’s how they make their reports “unanimous!”

http://www.smokershistory.com/SGlies.html

For the government to commit fraud to deprive us of our liberties is automatically a violation of our Constitutional rights to the equal protection of the laws, just as much as if it purposely threw innocent people in prison. And for the government to spread lies about phony smoking dangers is terrorism, no different from calling in phony bomb threats.