O’DONNELL: The fish in the GOP sea

Things are looking grim for the Republican Party. It seems to me that everyone is complaining about the state of the government lately, yet no real potential presidential candidate is committing to change. The GOP race is like that girl in high school who complains about her waistline while in line for a Chipotle burrito. Republicans: you can’t keep complaining if you’re not willing to do anything about it.

Right now, there are 18 party members who may or may not run for president. While each possible contender plays coy, time is ticking away and ticking away quickly. By this time in 2007, 11 candidates had declared their intention to campaign for the presidency.

As of right now, one of the Republican candidates who has filed paperwork is Fred Karger. With the first presidential primary debate looming in the distance, it doesn’t bode well for the GOP when its only candidate has to be Googled several times to even get a good search result. (Speaking of that debate, by the way, I would hate to be the publicist who has to tell the nation that the first 2012 presidential election debate, originally scheduled for May, now won’t happen until September due to a lack of Republicans who want to run the country.)

You might say, “But Emily, a lot of Republicans who have alluded to running in 2012 will probably wind up deciding to join the race.” My answer to that piece of insight would be, “Gee, I sure hope not.” Yes, there might be almost 20 people considering a go at outing Obama, but quantity doesn’t necessarily mean quality in this case. The list of competitors is a joke but the lack of a frontrunner this late in the game is more depressing than funny. Republicans just can’t seem to stay out of their own way.

Let’s really look at what’s going on right now in the GOP. One of the most recognized (and, for me, reviled) names in the political sphere is Newt Gingrich. Although he is almost always wrong about something, the man has gotten around. If you had asked me a week ago if I could see Gingrich pulling ahead in the GOP race if, and when, he decides to run, I would have said yes. I use the past tense because The Newt publically embarrassed himself when he told Politico last week that he wouldn’t have intervened in Libya after publically criticizing Obama for not entering Libya sooner in weeks prior. Call me a dreamer but I would like a president who knows what he thinks.

Next up on the chopping block is Herman Cain, a former Godfather’s Pizza CEO and radio host. Cain has been working hard this week at rallying Tea Party support in Iowa and seems to be making actual headway. Unfortunately, nobody else is warming up to him. Why, you ask? Is it because he’s never been elected into public office? Is it because he has one of the lowest name recognition rates? Well, the answer to both these questions is yes, but nobody likes Cain mainly because of a racist comment he made about Muslims.

Cain told The Huffington Post last weekend that he wouldn’t feel comfortable appointing a Muslim to his cabinet. For a guy who “doesn’t try to be politically correct” and “just tries to be correct,” he seems to be accomplishing the first goal and falling short of the latter. But don’t worry, kids, Cain’s staff tried, and I emphasize tried, to do damage control by saying that Herman Cain would never discriminate according to faith immediately after Cain said he would discriminate according to faith. Seems like Cain might be taking some pointers from our boy Newt.

One, and possibly the only, redeeming quality of the 2012 GOP candidate pool is that Karger is the first openly gay Republican presidential candidate. I have to give credit where credit is due: Republicans, congrats on beating us to it.

All things considered, I’m a Fred fan. He has more moderate views than his potential opponents, wants to revamp the education system and lower the voting age. He’s pro-choice, an advocate for gay marriage and wants to make changes to immigration laws. How is this man a Republican?

At any rate, it’s a shame that Karger is one of the only candidates to step up to the plate so far. Even though he’ll never win over his fellow Republicans, it’s admirable that he’s at least trying.

Come on, Republicans. Step it up. You have nothing to lose.

Emily O’Donnell is a sophomore at the College of Communication and a weekly columnist for The Daily Free Press. She can be reached at emilyod@bu.edu.

1. Cain’s position is a LEGAL one, not about race or religion. Islam requires women & gays & others to be treated illegally according to US Constitution and US law. Curious that the left misses or ignores this. (at their peril, methinks) Muslims are allowed to lie to Infidels. (that’s me and maybe you,too) So much for the Oath to uphold US Constitution and US law that all gov;t workers are required to swear. This crap has no place anywhere near US gov’t or US courts. Case Closed. If Muslims would start cleaning their own house, and expose & shun their wingnuts, your position might be more credible. That would be nice to see & I am waiting with baited, but not held, breath…

• funny story, the groups you mentioned, irrelevantly i might add, are already treated unfairly in the u.s. oops.
      Also, I think you need to take some time out and learn about Islam. Muslims don’t view other people of the Book with contempt the same way others view them… aka i don’t know why you think they can lie to “infidels”