Women’s soccer awaits second straight Ivy League opponent

After defeating Harvard University Wednesday night, the Boston University women’s soccer team will have its second-straight home game and second-consecutive game against an Ivy League team when they face off against Yale University on Sunday.

For the Terriers (5-2-1) this week’s games serve as a chance for senior midfielder Jessica Luscinski to get back into playing after missing a few games because of an injury she sustained during practice a few weeks ago. 

Luscinski pulled a muscle a few days before the Terriers competed in the Husky/Nike Invitational, but was able to travel with the team and even play in the first game. Luscinski played 18 minutes of the game against the University of Washington before being pulled out of the lineup for three games.

Luscinski, who is tied for the team lead for goals with three and leads the team in points with seven, started in the game against Harvard.

“Things look positive so she’s going to get a chance to get back into playing,” said BU head coach Nancy Feldman.

While the loss of Luscinski was a setback for the Terriers offense, Feldman was impressed with the bench’s ability to fill the void.

“We do have a deep team and that’s going to serve us well going forward,” Feldman said. “It might very well be the deepest we’ve had in a long time so hopefully that ends up being a benefit to our squad.”

According to Feldman, freshman forward Taylor Krebs was one of the players who stepped up into Luscinski’s place.

“Taylor Krebs got into the starting lineup and while she hasn’t scored in the past couple of games, she certainly is performing at a high level and filled in admirably.”

Krebs is tied with Luscinski goals and has six points so far this season.

Yale (2-2-2) will come into the game having played the University of Vermont Friday night. This past week the Bulldogs shutout Quinnipiac University in a 2-0 victory that was their first win since the team’s first game of the season.

Despite the mixed results Yale has had this season, Feldman considers them strong competition.

“The Ivy League teams are always very competitive,” Feldman said. “They are competitive because they get strong athletes, they get smart kids, they get disciplined kids – similar to the Boston University athletes.

“There are a lot of similarities and we play a lot of Ivy teams and they’re always very competitive matches. While they might not be regionally or nationally ranked opponents, they are very organized teams with great coaching and smart disciplined players that always present a competitive match.”

A noteworthy moment for Feldman and the women’s soccer program will occur during halftime on Sunday, the Terriers will have a ceremony celebrating the career and retiring the number of Deidre Enos, who holds several of the program’s all-time records.

“I think it’s a really neat thing,” Feldman said. “We’re actually going to give her a frame with her very own jersey that she wore… It’s going to be a great day for all of our alumni to come back and to not only celebrate [Deidre] but also celebrate the foundation that they helped build for their program at this point.”

While playing for BU during the 1997-00 seasons, Enos scored 51 goals, which is the BU women’s soccer record for career goals. This number is also second overall for career goals for any soccer team at BU. Enos was the first women’s soccer player named an All-American and was also the first drafted by a professional soccer team.

She also holds program record in goals in a season (20) and career points (121), as well as a firm place in Feldman’s fondest memories as a coach.

“Her name is certainly well-known among players,” Feldman said. “She’s just a great representative of the school, of our program. She was such a humble student athlete, a great student athlete, but also very humble and so likable personally by everyone on the team when she played.

“It’s always cool to connect the current team and the current players with those that came before… [Deidre] sent me a note the other day just about how proud she is of being a former Terrier because of what the current kid and the current team is accomplishing.”