Men’s soccer bounces back with win over Vermont

The Boston University men’s soccer team only scored once in Wednesday’s game at the University of Vermont, but strong play by freshman goalkeeper Nick Thomson and the rest of the Terrier defense shut out the America East Conference opponent for a 1-0 win.

Senior midfielder Stephen Knox scored the only goal of the game at the 15 minute mark, when senior defender Colin Henry dropped back a pass to Knox in the top off the box. Knox rolled the shot to the low left corner, just out of the reach of Catamount goalkeeper Dave Ramada.

The Terriers’ (6-6, 2-1 America East) offense continued to struggle converting its chances at UVM (6-6, 1-2 AE), especially in the first half.

BU head coach Neil Roberts emphasized the need for the Terriers to score more goals when they create opportunities.

“In the first half we had a number of very good chances,” Roberts said. “Until we start taking them more consistently we are only going to be 1-0. 1-0 is not a great way to live.”

Senior forward Ben Berube had three legitimate scoring chances, but was unable to convert any of them. Berube was tied for the team lead in goals last season, but has been held off the score sheet to this point in the season.

“He has been getting chances all game, so we just have to keep hoping that eventually these chances are going to turn into goals for us,” Roberts said.

Despite dominating the first half with consistent chances, BU wasn’t able to keep up the pressure in the second half. UVM subbed in a bigger lineup, and repeatedly crossed the ball into BU’s box, creating multiple chances for the Catamounts.

“In the second half he didn’t really have to make a lot of saves, he had to deal with a lot of stuff though,” Roberts said of Thomson. “For a young kid that was a very difficult situation for him.”

Thomson was awarded America East Player of the Game for his four saves.

While the Terriers won the game they may have lost the services of Henry again. The Norwell native recently returned from a nagging hamstring injury, but left the game in the 44th minute holding the recently recovered hamstring. The defending America East Defender of the Year has been solid on the back end this season, and would be a tough blow for the Terriers’ defense.

Away from Nickerson Field, the Terriers are 5-2 this season and have had a lot more success offensively. However, the home record for the Terriers is not as good, as they are 1-4 at Nickerson Field.

“It is a young group and maybe it is just easier to focus them and have them have control of it more on the road than while they are on campus at school,” Roberts said. “Who knows what it is?”

BU has won five of its last seven contests, which shows that the Terriers have broken out of their early season slump. The team chose a good time to start winning games as America East games are now in session, and every game is critical for the team to get into the playoffs.

“Points are important,” Roberts said. “Right now you can’t really worry about seeding. You have to worry about getting in and get as many points as you can and probably after next week you see where you stand.”

Next up for the Terriers is another America East opponent in Stony Brook University. The Seawolves are 3-0 in the America East right now, and are coming into Nickerson Field performing at their best.

“They are a good team,” Roberts said. “They are a team that knows one thing and that is to attack, so it will be interesting.”