EDIT: Guns on campus

The Colorado Supreme Court ruled in March that the University of Colorado Boulder must allow “those with Colorado concealed weapons permits to carry their guns on campus,” according to an article in The New York Times Saturday.

Now, that ruling is causing some faculty members unease, according to The Times.

Karen Jacobs, an English professor at CU-Boulder, said that the concealed gun policy “will create a climate of fear and intimidation” where individuals are afraid to speak their minds on controversial issues.

Jacobs’ concern is realistic. Students may be discouraged from voicing an unpopular opinion in class if their classmates have the opportunity to pack guns. Universities have been (and should continue to be) breeding grounds for free and lively conversations.

That being said, individuals have a constitutional right to bear arms. CU-Boulder is a public university. When school officials start abridging students’ rights at public universities, or any, they enter dangerous territory.

That doesn’t mean to say that private universities should abridge those rights, just that under law, students at publically funded universities enjoy all of their constitutional freedoms.

Moreover, public universities tend to have a large number of students who commute to class. It may be unrealistic to ask those students to discard their guns at the door when they do not have access to lockers or other safe places to store them.

However, that brings up the question of students who live on campus. Where do universities draw the line between where students can and cannot possess their concealed guns? If they are allowed in the classrooms, are they allowed in the dorms? Concealed guns seem even less appropriate in the dorm environment.

It would be interesting to see whether any students share their faculty’s concerns about concealed guns in the classroom. It seems likely that a number of them would.

1. Jacob’s “concerns” are just more of left-wing paranoia. The American leftists, parents of all that is wrong in America these days, simply cannot accept the FACT that We, the People, neither require, nor desire, “government” controlling every facet of our lives.

“Universities have been (and should continue to be) breeding grounds for free and lively discussions”. REALLY? Look at the several universities that stifled “Open Carry/Empty Holster” protests, going so far as to ban students from handing out informational fact sheets regarding the law-abiding nature of concealed carry licensees/permitees. Or trying speading the Word of God on a college campus, openly and publicly. If they don’t expelled you, they’ll demand that you undergo a psychological “evaluation” before you will be allowed to return to classes.

It is undenialbly obvious, based upon years of experience, that “gun free safety zones” are not only a myth, but in fact are a MAJOR contributing cause to multiple fatalities and injuries by disarming the very people that SHOULD be armed, the law-abiding citizen.

As Einstein said, one example of insanity is doing the same thing again and again, expecting a different result.

2. Funny I felt way more fear and intimidation about speaking on controversial subjects in a gender studies class about a million times more than I ever have felt at a Gun range.

3. “However, that brings up the question of students who live on campus. Where do universities draw the line between where students can and cannot possess their concealed guns? If they are allowed in the classrooms, are they allowed in the dorms? Concealed guns seem even less appropriate in the dorm environment.”

There are two answers to this question.

The first involves reality. Does violent crime occur in dormitories? The simple answer is yes. Therefore dormitory residents should have the right to have the tools necessary to defend themselves from it.

The second answer must be determined by the courts. The Supreme Court in Heller v. District of Columbia (2008) ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Numerous courts have ruled that Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches and seizures apply in college dormitories, as they are the de facto home for students while at college. Although the issue hasn’t yet reached the Supreme Court to my knowledge, it is only logical that the fundamental right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the Second Amendment should hold equal legal footing with the Fourth Amendment. As no landlord-tenant agreement can deprive one of their other constitutional rights, the same should be true for this one.

4. “Students may be discouraged from voicing an unpopular opinion in class if their classmates have the opportunity to pack guns.”

This is an unproven allegation. Not only is there no evidence to support this claim, but common sense should tell you that peaceable people don’t react to differences of opinion by shooting their debate opponents. To suggest that this is because they haven’t been permitted to carry concealed firearms is just stupid.

The line as already been drawn, constitutionally, and the government is prohibited from crossing it.

• Professor Porkchop

the rule does not magically hand out guns to everyone, merely that those who are eligible to have the concealed permit ( above 21, and without history of violence or mental instability) may carry.

I hate to say it, but people concealed carry on campus all the time, because it’s a lot better to be judged by twelve, than be carried by six.

5. “the concealed gun policy “will create a climate of fear and intimidation” ”

How can something that may not even be there cause fear? How is it different from before the law was passed? The unseen gun is the same unseen gun.

6. The problem here is that people are disconnecting students to adults. You say student and automatically think of high school children while in a college environment, you are in fact an adult and of age to buy and carry a concealed pistol. That being said, if you are of age and spend the time and money to jump through the hoops to obtain a cpl, you are mature enough not to go shoot someone as an emotional response. The year i left Kettering in Flint, Mi there were three armed robberies on campus including two student living home invasions within a month…let law abiding citizens protect themselves!…and crime will decrease.

7. Mr. Cain’s concerns are founded solely on fear of an irresponsible gun owner. Do they exist? Yes. Do they hold valid concealed carry permits? Not generally. There have been few instances of a CCW holder comitting acts of violence. I say few, as the case of Trayvon Martin’s death is still undecided.

I think Mr. Cain should do some research regarding the subject prior to tossing out an offhand editorial on a subect that he is woefully uninformed about. Each state has different requirements for obtaining a CCW/CHL/CWP, but many of the standards are the same. The individual must be 21, as federal law prohibits anyone under that age from purchasing a handgun or the ammunition for it; however, some states allow an exception for active duty military. An applicant must undergo a thorough background check, which can take up to four months. Most states mandate a training course, with an exception for military personnel and veterans, as each branch of the service provides firearm training during basic training/boot camp. In short, to carry a concealed weapon, one must voluntarily submit to scrutinization, pay for training one’s self, and accept the additional responsibility and restrictions that go along with that choice. No drinking, no sporting events, no church, no political events while armed.

The Department of Justice has released statistics showing that armed citizens – not police, not soldiers, but civilians – stop approximately 2.5 million crimes per year. In states that provide concealed carry permits, crime rates have dropped. Interviews with criminals incarcerated across the country reveal that the greatest fear shared by many of them – not all, but many – is an armed person whom they have targeted to make a victim. Not the police, not jail, not prison, not even the death penalty, but an armed victim.

And so, Mr. Cain, in light of the information I’ve proffered, will you do additional research on the subject, perhaps even attend a basic familiarization class offered at a local shooting range? You may be surprised, should you do either one. And, if you look hard enough, you can most likely find a “First Shoot” event near you. Or, conversely, will you ignore the facts, and continue the attempt to instill fear where it’s not warranted?

8. It’s funny most young people are afraid to voice their opinion because professors tend to punish them with bad grades if their opinion is not the same as theirs. I suggest these afraid professors find a new line of work….OH that’s right, they can’t do anything else….

Get a life people…. let this dies down and you will never even know a gun is in class…. Hence Concealed Carry…..

9. I find it comical for faculty to assume that students believe that they might get shot because they disagree with a fellow student. The whole point of conceal carry is that you don’t know they are carrying. I argur controversial issues in the general public where carrying is legal without amy fear of repercussion. Only people paranoid from leftist hype and deceit would be concerned.

10. FRCC Student US Army Vet

At Front Range Community College I as well as other classmates carry concealed firearms on campus. As far as I can tell students in all my classes where debate or controversial topics are discussed everyone speaks freely.

It is my understanding that CSU also has a policy that does not interfere with Conceal Carry. I say that policy works I honestly cant remember or have ever heard of their being a mass shooting on CSU nor have i heard of a student shooting another to win a debate, anyone who believes that would happen should have their heads checked.

If you are afraid of me because I chose to defend myself with the best tools at my disposal…..well that sounds like a personal problem.

11. Licensed carry will create an environment of fear and intimidation? Why, because a lawfully armed person is likely to shoot you in the face with his defensive handgun for disagreeing with him in a classroom discussion? Sure. I’d be more concerned about the lunatic who might consider mowing EVERYONE down tomorrow with a rifle if he’s upset, knowing that he can, since there will (maybe) be one armed campus cop for every thousand unarmed victims-to-be.

I’d take a room full of permit holders over a “pistol-free” room any day, without a second thought.

12. When did GOOD people have to get a permit to BE good?

I have killed less people with my Conceal Carry gun than Ted Kennedy killed with his car.
    And Ted kept his license and a seat in the Senate and ran for President.