OOMMEN: Living conditions

It’s been a little over a month, and I would like to think that moving from a three-story house to half a dorm room has been no hassle at all.

However, it’s hard to remember that it’s not just a bedroom, but also a kitchen, art studio and not to mention, a place for studying.

It’s true that sometimes I mix up my drawings with my homework, and I find a fork in a book and my phone in the mini-fridge, but until then, nothing had been severely damaged.

One day, as I was Skyping my best friend, she saw the bubble blower I got from Splash.

She told me to blow bubbles to her, and so I did without realizing they would burst right onto the keyboard.

It was only a little bit of water, and my laptop, which seemed possessed as it typed random letters, recovered the next morning.

However, last week, my roommate turned her light off to go to bed, and I was stuck in the dimly lit room to finish a paper.

So I packed up my stuff, said goodnight to Natalie and headed to the study room.

Because of my slight problem with daydreaming, my eyes kept shifting from my laptop screen to random parts of the room.

During that time it hit me. Everybody had a MacBook.

I have an LG laptop. It’s only three years old and still white and shiny.

It isn’t sleek and doesn’t have an apple on it, but it’s sturdy and has been with me through my development as a writer in high school.

I then thought that it was really boring how everyone had the same laptop, and how due to Apple’s unique design, a lot of people stopped decorating their laptops with stickers and such.

When I got back to my room, I didn’t feel like turning on the lights. I set my fully appreciated LG laptop down on the table and decided to watch a movie and have something to eat.

I turned around to grab a plate, but I forgot that I had defrosted my frozen stockings, which were now swimming in a bowl of the water.

Next thing I know, I’m at the Apple store getting a MacBook Pro.

A scenario like this would never have happened back home.

It’s always warm in the United Arab Emirates, so girls don’t wear stockings, but that’s beside the point.

In this bizarre instance, dorm life took a toll on me, and it gave me a Macbook Pro.

I feel guilty for the switch, but the MacBook does have more features and is more durable than my LG.

Things have an odd way of working out, it seems.

Rhea Oommen is a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences and a weekly columnist for The Daily Free Press. She can be reached at rheao@bu.edu.