EDIT: Coming out in the (W)NBA

Washington Wizards center Jason Collins has revealed his homosexuality in a Sports Illustrated article. This is the first time an active professional athlete in a major sport has come out during their career … in a male sport at least. Brittney Griner, the Women’s National Basketball Association’s first pick, casually slipped in that she is a lesbian also in Sports Illustrated on April 17. Sheryl Swoopes came out even before Griner did.

So, why does a male athlete coming out of the closet make national news, but a woman coming out stay pretty silent?

This is evidence of the inequalities between men and women. More people pay attention to male sports, especially because they get significantly more airtime on cable networks.

Based on the activity, and how people are socialized to participate, sexuality plays a key role in U.S. society in defining sports, the arts and any other professions.

When a female athlete comes out as a lesbian, it might not seem out of place because she is socialized to be “macho” in a sport that could generally be considered masculine. When a male comes out, he seems out of place.  Perhaps that is why Griner barely made the news like Collins. In sports, where players are held to a ridiculous masculine pedestal, shouldn’t all the players be attracted to women? Is that what masculinity is?

In male sports, there is a significant standard of masculinity people want players to live up to. But when a man comes out, his “masculinity” is immediately erased. Athletes are socialized to be manly — strong, courageous and heterosexual. Collins’s open sexuality suddenly affects his ability to play, win and be a cornerstone on the team.

But also, Collins’s simple announcement, “And I’m gay,” is still admirable. He is getting a lot of support. Griner and Collins are both opening opportunities for more closeted players to come out. You cannot pretend to be something you are not, especially if you are a role model. It has no bearing on how your professional career plays out. When household sports names are not associated with their sexualities, that will be the day.